Thread: LOAD IXF files

Question Unanswered: LOAD IXF files

Hi

I want to LOAD IXF files from a fileserver into a local client database.
    It works with the IMPORT command but not with LOAD!? (I tried the LOAD CLIENT option, no success)

I have a Windows 2000 client with UDB version 7.1 an one with UDB 8.1, both the same.

How can I fix that? THanks for your support.

Reto

Re: LOAD IXF files

Any commands or error messages ?

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by c155950
    Hi

I want to LOAD IXF files from a fileserver into a local client database.
    It works with the IMPORT command but not with LOAD!? (I tried the LOAD CLIENT option, no success)

I have a Windows 2000 client with UDB version 7.1 an one with UDB 8.1, both the same.

How can I fix that? THanks for your support.

Reto
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Any commands or error messages ?

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Hi, yes shure here it is...

The command is:
    DB2 LOAD FROM G:\UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART.IXF OF IXF MESSAGES c:\temp\imp.txt REPLACE INTO V3.UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART

The error Message is:
    SQL3109N The utility is beginning to load data from file
    "G:\UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART.ixf".
    SQL2036N The path for the file or device
    "G:\UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART.ixf" is not valid.

where G: is the server drive.

Reto

Hi Reto,

are you positive that the database actually resides locally on the client? It looks like you are working against a database located on a server that has no access to the file server via drive G:.

One of the big differences between load an import is that import is a client application while load is a server utility.

To check if the database resides locally, do a
    db2 list database directory
    from the command line and check for your alias.

Johann

Hi, yes shure here it is...

The command is:
    DB2 LOAD FROM G:\UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART.IXF OF IXF MESSAGES c:\temp\imp.txt REPLACE INTO V3.UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART

The error Message is:
    SQL3109N The utility is beginning to load data from file
    "G:\UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART.ixf".
    SQL2036N The path for the file or device
    "G:\UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART.ixf" is not valid.

Reto

Hi,

"G:\UTMTV_FAHRZEUGART.IXF" file must be on server computer! Is it?

Grofaty

Originally posted by jsander
    Hi Reto,

are you positive that the database actually resides locally on the client? It looks like you are working against a database located on a server that has no access to the file server via drive G:.

One of the big differences between load an import is that import is a client application while load is a server utility.

To check if the database resides locally, do a
    db2 list database directory
    from the command line and check for your alias.

Johann

Hi Johann,

I used that command at the client where the database resides and the database is accessable.
    Only the IXF files are on a fileserver. From the client I see the Drive G: and there is the file which I can access and that I want to LOAD.

Reto

IS G: drive a network directory ?

If not, can you try moving the file into a local directory on the client and try ...

Cheers
    Sathyarma

Hi Johann,

I used that command at the client where the database resides and the database is accessable.
    Only the IXF files are on a fileserver. From the client I see the Drive G: and there is the file which I can access and that I want to LOAD.

Reto
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    IS G: drive a network directory ?

If not, can you try moving the file into a local directory on the client and try ...

Cheers
    Sathyarma
    Yes, G: is the network drive I see from the client. If I copy the IXF file from the server to the client and use the LOAD command at the client, it works.
    But I don't want to copy the files first from the server to my client. I want to use it directly from the server, because I have 100Mb of IXF files. Starting the LOAD at the client using the server files and put it in the local client database.

Reto

Provided Answers: 1

I don't think LOAD would work with the source file located on a network drive. It has to be local, at least on a Windows system.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Hi,

n_i is right. File has to be on local drive (not on network drive) to load it into database. If the file is small you can execute import from network drive. If the file is big then copy file to local disk and load it into DB2.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hi, now I have the solution! It ist possible to load remote files into a local database.

You will need to give the instance owner sufficient authority to access the shared directory. Also be aware that if the instance is running under the SYSTEM account it will have no access to the network (this is an MS account restriction). If you wish to access network resources you must run the instance under a real user account and give access rights to that user on the (server-) network drive.

Reto