Thread: Help

Unanswered: Help!!!

I installed Oracle on my local computer, but it looks like some things installed on the server. In the server's event viewer I get the message:
    Application Popup: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle: The Oracle(tm) Client and Networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corp. and are part of the Oracle version 7.3(or greater) client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed.

I went to the server and there is no Oracle on it. How can I remedy this situation?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by exdter; 11-13-03 at 11:11.

Re: Help!!!

Originally posted by exdter
    I installed Oracle on my local computer, but it looks like some things installed on the server. In the server's event viewer I get the message:
    Application Popup: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle: The Oracle(tm) Client and Networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corp. and are part of the Oracle version 7.3(or greater) client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed.

I went to the server and there is no Oracle on it. How can I remedy this situation?
    Thanks.
    You might want to tell us what you wish to accomplish and what you already did exactly. Below I listed some oracle components and what they provide:

1) Oracle database server: this provides a service to store your data in. You don't need to install this, if some one else has data in an Oracle database already and you just want to read or manipulate the data. You only need to install the server, if you want to run your own server.
    Even if you want to store your own data, you might not need to run your own server if you can find some one to give/sell you an ID and space.

2) Oracle network and client components: You need to install these if you want to access data in an Oracle database. The client tools do include some client application (sqlPlus) that allow you to access the data.

3) Oracle ODBC Drivers: these sit on top on #2 and allow other products(usually microsoft products, including Access) to access oracle data. From your note(reading between the lines), I guess you may be trying to install and use the ODBC drivers. This means you need #2 as well on your machine, #1 can be on your machine or another one.

-------------

The media for #1 includes #2 and #3. The media for #2 includes #3. #3 can be downloaded by itself.

There are also some jdbc(java) driver that allow client access w/o #2.

You'll likely get more relevant help, if you directly say what you want to do with Oracle and mention exactly what Oracle components you installed and attempted to use. Saying you installed Oracle means so much that it sez nothing.

Versions: attempt to use Oracle 9, unless someone gives you a good reason to use some thing else: "Our product needs 8i", would be a reason. If they say they need Oracle 7, run for the nearest exit.