Question Unanswered: data transfer proc

I would like to create a proc that moves data from one database to another. I want to be able to have the target and source databases as parameters in the proc. However I am getting a sytax error.

create proc NEWPROC
    @Target nvarchar(25),
    @Source nvarchar(25)
    as
    select * from @Source..TableName

It does not seem to like the @Target paramter being used this way. Does any one have any ideas about how else I could accomplish this. Thanks for your help.

Have you taken a look at DTS or maybe replication ? DTS would be a place to start.

I am trying to create column to column mapping between the databases. Only certain data will be transfer bepending on conditions. Also the mapping will change depending on conditions. This proc would be dynamic enough that it would handle all possible conditions and then make the correct column mapping and data transfers. I am not sure if you can do this with DTS.

I might be able to do this with replication, but i thought the proc would be the best method since I am not trying to move data across servers, only across databases.

I have created procs similiar to this using Unix scripts, between two sybase databases, however it seems SQL server does not like the syntax.

Originally posted by mtracey
    Have you taken a look at DTS or maybe replication ? DTS would be a place to start.

How about
    Code:
     select @query = 'select '+ @fieldnames + ' into ' + @tablename + ' from ' + @server + '..' + @userid + '.' + @tablename 
    exec (@query)
    where the varaibles are defined in advance
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

I had considered that method however I hoped there was an easier way. Thanks for your post

Originally posted by Enigma
    How about
    Code:
     select @query = 'select '+ @fieldnames + ' into ' + @tablename + ' from ' + @server + '..' + @userid + '.' + @tablename 
    exec (@query)
    where the varaibles are defined in advance