Unanswered: I cannot get Enterprise Manager to remotely connect!

I have an ASP page that is pulling data from an SQL server 2000 database. The code connects just fine using the specified Username and Password which was set up by the admin.

However, using that same username and password, I cannot get connected using Enterprise Manager SQL registration method so I can change database settings.

The error message I get says: SQL server does not exist or access denied (Conection Open(connect)).

The SQL server does exist (because it finds it in the server list). For some reason I am getting access denied. The server is running a mixed authentication mode.

is the sql2000 running on win2003server?

if sql2000 is running on win2003,it must be fix by sql service pack .
    then you can settle the problem.

I am trying to connec to a machine running win2000.

Are you registering by machine name or ip address ? Can you ping the server ? When you say remotely - please provide more details on this ?

Remotely means outside the firewall. I have also tried to connect inside the firewall. Inside the firewall, the server is listed by name in the available servers list when registering a new server. It just won't connect. Outside the firewall I am typing the IP in and nothing. SQL server is running on the webserver I am working off of.

Can you ping the sql server (from inside or outside) ? Did you try using the ip address when registering from inside/outside ? What does your client network utility show as far as enabled protocols ? What are the errors you receive inside/outside ? Are you using the same machine to connect in both example (inside/outside) ?

Also, since a firewall is involved - validate that the sql port is open. The default/normal port is 1433, but might have been changed by the sa/dba for security.