Arrow Unanswered: Oracle 8i ODBC Issue

Hows it going?

I have encountered this problem a number of times and up until now have opted to rebuild the machine. Basically, it would seem that when Oracle 7 was upgraded to Oracle 8i... in some cases the following issue arose:

If I go to Administrative Tools and then to ODBC... System DSN... I can see my connections. However, upon attempting to configure them (i.e. highlight and click configure), there is no response. Basically it is as if the button has no code behind it.

The machines are win2000 and I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any insight or has encountered this previously.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Re: Oracle 8i ODBC Issue

Sorry I should add that even though the service name and its details are correct in the tnsnames.ora and the connections are present.... I am still prompted to enter the service name when using the connection. The username and password are held already. The connection does work but only when Service Name is input

Ensure that you are using Oracle 8.1.7.4 ODBC ... There were problems with earlier versions... You can download the ZIP of it from METALINK... It's a little over 1meg in size ...

HTH
    Gregg

Thanks for your response. I can confirm that this is not the issue. The driver version is correct. My thinking was that it could be a rights issue in the registry or on files that was preventing the user (an administrator) from opening that screen. However, even when i gave them full rights to the local machine > software > oracle and ODBC and to the folders on the machine, there was no change