Unanswered: Passing a parameter into a query from one of two forms

The simplest explanation of my problem is this:

I have three forms, frm1Buyer, frm2Pick, and frm3.

frm1Buyer is used to enter Buyer information into tblBuyer; the primary key is BuyerID.

frm2Pick is used to call up specific Buyer records from tblBuyer, also using BuyerID.

Both of them have a button that takes you to frm3 (there is no other way to get to frm3 for the user).

I want to be able to pass the BuyerID from <i>EITHER</i> frm1Buyer or frm2Pick, depending upon which one is open.

I don't think I can do this with a parameter query, because it can't store the value. I've been trying to think of a way to do this with an sql query created in VB, and I'm stumped.

Is it possible to run VB code upon the Click Event of the "exit" button for frm1Buyer and frm2Pick, before the form closes, that changes the criteria of the BuyerID field in a stored query and then runs the query? That would leave the data behind for frm3 to pull from.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Passing a parameter into a query from one of two forms

Originally posted by Ewin
    The simplest explanation of my problem is this:

I have three forms, frm1Buyer, frm2Pick, and frm3.

frm1Buyer is used to enter Buyer information into tblBuyer; the primary key is BuyerID.

frm2Pick is used to call up specific Buyer records from tblBuyer, also using BuyerID.

Both of them have a button that takes you to frm3 (there is no other way to get to frm3 for the user).

I want to be able to pass the BuyerID from <i>EITHER</i> frm1Buyer or frm2Pick, depending upon which one is open.

I don't think I can do this with a parameter query, because it can't store the value. I've been trying to think of a way to do this with an sql query created in VB, and I'm stumped.

Is it possible to run VB code upon the Click Event of the "exit" button for frm1Buyer and frm2Pick, before the form closes, that changes the criteria of the BuyerID field in a stored query and then runs the query? That would leave the data behind for frm3 to pull from.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    You can use Docmd.OpenForm to open the third form with a Where clause (don't use the word Where though). See the help file for the full syntax of the OpenForm method.

You could also set the formfilter of the form you wish to open or you could set the recordsource of the form. If you have Access 2000 and above you could use the form recordset to attach the data.

And there are many other ways as well!

I forgot to mention; frm3 is an unbound form. How do I use the WHERE condition if I'm not calling up a specific record?

I only need to pull in the BuyerID because every query that I use to populate the other boxes depends upon it.

Originally posted by Ewin
    I forgot to mention; frm3 is an unbound form. How do I use the WHERE condition if I'm not calling up a specific record?

I only need to pull in the BuyerID because every query that I use to populate the other boxes depends upon it.
    You can use the OpenArgs property of the OpenForm method to pass in any value you want. The OpenArgs property of the form can be retrieved at any time eg Me("txtBuyerID").Value = Me.OpenArgs

Ah-ha! The OpenArgs is working like a charm, and I can put the code for it on both forms. Thank you!