Unanswered: searching a record without being able to modify

Hi,
    Is there anyway that I can set a database field so that
    a person can search for it but not modify it? I know I can uncheck the "Allow entry into field" box, but this also makes the record unserarchable.
    Thanks
    bill

There are two ideas that come mind:

1) Create a calc field that returns the field you want to search. Calc fields cannot be modified directly, but can be searched on in Find mode.

-OR-

2) In the auto-enter options for the field in question, check the "Data" option (and leave the input area blank), and then also check "Prohibit modification of value". This prevents the user from modifying the field's contents while in Browse, allows the users to search in the field in Find mode, and still allows you to change the value of the field when you need to via the "Set Field" script step. (Yes, even though you've specified "prohibit modification of value", you can still modify the value as long as its through a script).

Hope that helps,
    Mariano

Great. Thanks!
    Bill

Re: searching a record without being able to modify

One way that I accomplish this task is to allow a search only through a script routine. I create a numerical field that acts as the field validator for all fields in (this case is a purchase order system). When the script runs it places a 10 in the validation field and returns search results. User can not modify any field because the 10 in the validation field (modification allowed only when vaslidation field is empty). To clear this field, when the user naviagates back to the central menu via a button script the script clears the validation field.

Originally posted by nabs007
    Hi,
    Is there anyway that I can set a database field so that
    a person can search for it but not modify it? I know I can uncheck the "Allow entry into field" box, but this also makes the record unserarchable.
    Thanks
    bill
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions