Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: "Failed to archive log" error

Hi everybody,

Here's my story. My database is 8.1.6 on Solaris. I have been archiving logs to 2 different destinations. One is local (a directory on the Oracle server), another is an NFS volume. Both locations have plenty of free space. In total I have 5 redo log groups.

Everything was running smoothly for some time, with logs being archived to the two destinations. One fine day, however, something happened and archiving of a log could not finish. (I suspect there was a network outage or something that prevented the log from being sent to the NFS destination.)

I had a message in the alert log saying "Beginning to archive log# 2 seq #12345" but not "Completed archiving.. seq# 12345". Meanwhile, the database was happily switching from one log group to another and finally returned to the group 2 only to find it still dirty (not archived).

That's when I got a new error message saying something like "Failed to allocate log; logs need archiving", and all connections to the database were suspended.

After that the database was shutdown (with ABORT option; don't ask...) and the NFS destination was removed from the parameter file, leaving only one local log archive destination.

When the database was brought back up everything was fine, except that log seq# 12346. It still cannot be archived, although archiver just skips it and switches between the remaining log groups. From time to time it attempts to archive the "broken" log but immediately reports an error: "Failed to archive log# 2 seq# 12345", without further detail.

I understand I can't go like this forever, because my backups will probably be unusable with that "broken" log. The question is, what are my options? (It's a production system so I'd like to have as small impact on the database operation as possible).

Do I just drop and re-create the entire log group #2? Will the "ALTER DATABASE CLEAR UNARCHIVED LOG GROUP 2" do the trick? Anything else I could do?

I'd like to hear your opinions before going to play with the production system.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Re: "Failed to archive log" error

I think something is wrong with your NFS log archive destination.

Now, you should clear the unarchived redo log file by executing statement: ALTER DATABASE CLEAR UNARCHIVED LOGFILE GROUP N,
    then perform a complete backup.

Originally posted by Jovih
    I think something is wrong with your NFS log archive destination.

Now, you should clear the unarchived redo log file by executing statement: ALTER DATABASE CLEAR UNARCHIVED LOGFILE GROUP N,
    then perform a complete backup.
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to try this.
    ---

Didn't work. Whatever I do (clear log, drop log group, drop member ...) I get this:

ORA-00261: log 2 of thread 1 is being archived or modified

I guess I'll have to bring database down to fix this problem.
    ---

Hi,

ORA-00261: log 2 of thread 1 is being archived or modified means

Either the log is being archived by another process or an administrative command is executing and modifying the log. Clearing, adding a member, dropping a member, renaming a member, and dropping the log are operations that modify a log.

Wait for the current operation to complete and try again.
    SATHISH .

Originally posted by satish_ct
    Hi,

ORA-00261: log 2 of thread 1 is being archived or modified means

Either the log is being archived by another process or an administrative command is executing and modifying the log. Clearing, adding a member, dropping a member, renaming a member, and dropping the log are operations that modify a log.

Wait for the current operation to complete and try again.
    Thanks. I've read that much in the error messages reference. My problem was that the log had remained in that state for days. I had to bring the db down to clear it.
    ---