Unanswered: Odd Printing Issue

Hi

I'm new to FileMaker, but am in the process of developing a small solution for a client. I'm currently having problems with printing from FileMaker. If I have a db open with a picture and choose 'Print', all I get out is the script for an 'Image Import' button I set up:

Image Import
    Set Error Capture [On}
    Go to Field [Image]
    Insert Picture []

I never get to print the picture, I never see it in Preview either, just the text above (or, depending on which view I'm trying to print, lots of the same).

Specs: FMP 6 running on OS X (10.3) attached to a HP 1300 LaserJet.

Any help?

Re: Odd Printing Issue

Well, this script appears to be an import script, which I assume you are running prior to the print routine (I'm not sure why you've included this). Anyway, in the layout mode, click on the image container (to set focus) then go to toolbar > format >sliding/printing and make sure the check box at the bottom (Do not print the selected items) is unchecked.

Originally posted by Blandford Fly
    Hi

I'm new to FileMaker, but am in the process of developing a small solution for a client. I'm currently having problems with printing from FileMaker. If I have a db open with a picture and choose 'Print', all I get out is the script for an 'Image Import' button I set up:

Image Import
    Set Error Capture [On}
    Go to Field [Image]
    Insert Picture []

I never get to print the picture, I never see it in Preview either, just the text above (or, depending on which view I'm trying to print, lots of the same).

Specs: FMP 6 running on OS X (10.3) attached to a HP 1300 LaserJet.

Any help?
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Nope, that's not it.

This import script that I get printed is from another button in another layout, so it's getting a bit confusing as to why it should be printing at all. It all started yesterday I think. I made a small db for my app registration details which prints fine and exactly as it should (to the same printer). This issue also plagued a FileMaker template that I tried (printing only scripts), so it's getting rather tricky to track the cause.

Now I'm confussed. Does the printing go OK if you print from the toolbar instead of a script?

Nope, that's not it.

This import script that I get printed is from another button in another layout, so it's getting a bit confusing as to why it should be printing at all. It all started yesterday I think. I made a small db for my app registration details which prints fine and exactly as it should (to the same printer). This issue also plagued a FileMaker template that I tried (printing only scripts), so it's getting rather tricky to track the cause.
    Rick Knight

Unhappy

Originally posted by RickKnight
    Now I'm confussed. Does the printing go OK if you print from the toolbar instead of a script?
    It makes no difference whether it's from the menu bar or from a script. I tried a couple of other databases today and whilst one worked fine, another did not (both FM examples).

The one I built (the app registration db) still works fine.

Could this be a OS X (Panther) bug?

This is just odd

Possibly a bug, does it print OK from a Windows machine but not Mac?
    Does the print problem occur on on the OS/X?
    We've had problems with the OS10 and OS X in our graphics departments.
    Also check with FileMaker and see if there are any updates for your FM version

It makes no difference whether it's from the menu bar or from a script. I tried a couple of other databases today and whilst one worked fine, another did not (both FM examples).

The one I built (the app registration db) still works fine.

Could this be a OS X (Panther) bug?

This is just odd
    Rick Knight

Was this printing problem solved?

I am having exactly the same problem - however and whatever I try to print, I get a listing of a script.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by sodaquad
    Was this printing problem solved?

I am having exactly the same problem - however and whatever I try to print, I get a listing of a script.
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but I fixed the problem. In case anyone else has found it:

1 - if you are printing from a script put a 'Page Setup' statement in just before the 'Print' statement.

2 - go to the Print item on the File menu and look at the third (bottom) pop-up menu, select 'FileMaker Pro' on it.

3 - select the option you want, like 'Records being browsed' or 'Current Record'. Whatever, don't select 'Script' (Doh!).

4 - Go back to Scriptmaker (in Filemaker) and open your printing script and then try to close it straight away, FileMaker will ask if you want to keep or replace your setting - choose replace so that it remembers the new setting from the Print dialog.

Should print OK after that.

Phew...!

Simon ( AKA SodaQuad)

Originally posted by sodaquad
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but I fixed the problem. In case anyone else has found it:

1 - if you are printing from a script put a 'Page Setup' statement in just before the 'Print' statement.

2 - go to the Print item on the File menu and look at the third (bottom) pop-up menu, select 'FileMaker Pro' on it.

3 - select the option you want, like 'Records being browsed' or 'Current Record'. Whatever, don't select 'Script' (Doh!).

4 - Go back to Scriptmaker (in Filemaker) and open your printing script and then try to close it straight away, FileMaker will ask if you want to keep or replace your setting - choose replace so that it remembers the new setting from the Print dialog.

Should print OK after that.

Phew...!

Simon ( AKA SodaQuad)
    Sorry, I forgot to update. I called FM for help and they couldn't find anything...until they figured out, as you did, that this was why I was having problems. Kind of a bug? But at least it's fixed now.