Question What front-end can I use

I have a large amount of Access97 tables I need to keep using, but for stupid licensing reasons I cannot use the Access97 application any longer. I still need to be able to fully administer the tables though.
    Does anybody have some suggestions on what other front-end I could use?

Help is much appreciated!

I write VB6 frontends to Oracle, mySQL and MSAccess tables. I think you'll find Microsoft's Visual Basic v6 will create excellent front end forms for your situation. First of all, it can create and modify access table structures, using its ADO extensions for DDL and Security. If you can keep your tables and data, the better. If not, you can use VB6 to recreate them, with keys, and reload the data from textfiles. There is no license for tables created this way. I suggest you bite the bullet and acquire VB6 enterprise edition. Make copies of all SQL statements and screen displays, to speed up frontend creation. Networked and stand-alone applications can be compiled and distributed without license. VB6 works with ODBC and OLEDB, handles table data via SQL, and displays results on a form. Multiple records are best displayed using the MS Hierarchical FlexGrid, which gives the data the look of an access table.

If you are going to stay with Access 97 then I agree with vududoc.

Thumbs up

Hi,

You can use Visual Basic. Its a good Front-end tool along with Access.
    SATHISH .

Smile Thanks

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the tip. I do use VB6, as well as Visual Studio.NET (C#) to write my software. I'll give VB a try to see what can be done, I know it has this Visual data tool in it. Although what I do needs speed. I can't spend time developing front-ends myself for the many different tasks I use Access for, like importing tables from an AS/400, make lots of ad-hoc queries, frequently use the Reporting tool to make new reports when needed... and lots more.

But I'll try, as I don't seem to have any choice.

My other options are to either switch to a newer version of Access, but that's too much work, or switch to some other database altogether, which is just as much bother. Means re-writing most of the software.

Microsoft's licensing is a pain in the neck.
    As a result, I am making any new development on our Intranet with MySQL now. And sooner or later, I'll find a good solution for the end-user software as well. I just need to find something that I can use without run-time licenses for the users.

Thanks again guys.

You could do worse than use Corel Paradox for your front ends. The runtime can be distributed with no annoying licensing issues.

If you are using sql server, you can upsize your access databases to sql server ...

Anybody know if VB6 Enterprise still available? Is it necessary for developing front end/back-end database apps? (I have VB6 Pro.)

Or should I go right to VB.Net Enterprise?

Joe G

vb6 enterprise should not be an issue - it's still available for download if you have the appropriate msdn subscription - which usually means it is still available to the public. Using .Net - not a bad decision. If you decide to go this route, I would recommend c# over vb.net.

What functionality are you looking for that does not exist in vb 6 pro ?

rnealejr,

I thought there might be some database design tools in vb6 that were only available in enterprise. I have office 2k developer, sql server, vb6 pro, office 11, but I was working on a couple of commercial software app ideas I wanted to roll out in vb6 (maybe distributed apps - stuff like that).

I was also curious what database format commercial apps used in their off-the-shelf products. Are the vb apps out there using access mdbs via ado, or text files, or some file structure only enterprise can make? (I know I can create a database connection via vb6.)

I hate scrounging for legacy software but I got stuck before in the old foxpro dos days when I could no longer buy the tools/licenses. I may need to support vb6 apps for my clients also.

thanks again

joe g

No - the data environment designer is in both. Really there is not much of a difference. Mainly, with enterprise it includes sql server 6.5/visual sourcesafe/modeler - I think this is the backoffice version 4 ?. They used to have a free offer to get sql server 7 - which upgraded you to backoffice 4.5 ?. Anyway, here are the links:

link1
    link2

This technology is really old - I think since 1998 - I would recommend the newer .Net platform.

rnealejr

Yes, thanks for the info there. I will probably go with .Net then. Besides I already got SQL Server 2k vs 7.

joe g

I agree with your choice. Good luck.

Re: What front-end can I use

Here is a control that I have been using that has made my life easier:

http://www.geocities.com/scirocco_ha/DataControl.htm

After selecting the CursorType, CursorLocation, LockType and Disconnected status of your Recordset (there are defaults). I bind my controls and that is it

Then I can Navigate, Add New, Delete, Refresh, Search and Save Changes to my recordsets without any other code. That is really it, no other code is needed.

This will be great for your front-end, let me know what you think.

Originally posted by canckaer
    I have a large amount of Access97 tables I need to keep using, but for stupid licensing reasons I cannot use the Access97 application any longer. I still need to be able to fully administer the tables though.
    Does anybody have some suggestions on what other front-end I could use?

Help is much appreciated!