Unanswered: SELECT COUNT(*) alternative question...

I have read in a few TSQL Performance postings that you can use:

SELECT rows FROM sysindexes WHERE id = OBJECT_ID('tablename') AND indid < 2

versus

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tablename

Unfortunately, I am trying this with our database and am consistantly getting a different count, even across different tables.

I tried tables with clustered indexes vs. non-clustered indexes and no difference. The SELECT COUNT(*) always yeilds a handful more records.

I also excluded the possibility that the table was growing between query executions.

Anyone have any insight to this trick and my discrepency?

Thanks,
    Bryan Hughes

Re: SELECT COUNT(*) alternative question...

Originally posted by bryanhughes
    I have read in a few TSQL Performance postings that you can use:

SELECT rows FROM sysindexes WHERE id = OBJECT_ID('tablename') AND indid < 2

versus

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tablename

Unfortunately, I am trying this with our database and am consistantly getting a different count, even across different tables.

I tried tables with clustered indexes vs. non-clustered indexes and no difference. The SELECT COUNT(*) always yeilds a handful more records.

I also excluded the possibility that the table was growing between query executions.

Anyone have any insight to this trick and my discrepency?

Thanks,
    Bryan Hughes
    DBCC Updateusage will solve your problem. Sysindexes tables is not constantly updated and might contain inaccuracies. Quoting from the holy book

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE
    Reports and corrects inaccuracies in the sysindexes table, which may result in incorrect space usage reports by the sp_spaceused system stored procedure.

Syntax
    DBCC UPDATEUSAGE
    ( { 'database_name' | 0 }
    [ , { 'table_name' | 'view_name' }
    [ , { index_id | 'index_name' } ] ]
    )
    [ WITH [ COUNT_ROWS ] [ , NO_INFOMSGS ]
    ]

Arguments
    'database_name' | 0

Is the name of the database for which to report and correct space usage statistics. Database names must conform to the rules for identifiers. For more information, see Using Identifiers. If 0 is specified, then the current database is used.

'table_name' | 'view_name'

Is the name of the table or indexed view for which to report and correct space usage statistics. Table and view names must conform to the rules for identifiers.

index_id | 'index_name'

Is the identification (ID) number or index name of the index to use. If not specified, the statement processes all indexes for the specified table or view.

COUNT_ROWS

Specifies that the rows column of sysindexes is updated with the current count of the number of rows in the table or view. This applies only to sysindexes rows that have an indid of 0 or 1. This option can affect performance on large tables and indexed views.

NO_INFOMSGS

Suppresses all informational messages.

Remarks
    DBCC UPDATEUSAGE corrects the rows, used, reserved, and dpages columns of the sysindexes table for tables and clustered indexes. Size information is not maintained for nonclustered indexes.
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

Thanks! My next question is then if I have to do DBCC UPDATEUSAGE each time, this trick really isnt a very good trick?

Or once I do the UPDATEUSAGE, it will stay accurate for a while?

Provided Answers: 1
    It is not a good idea to use this trick if you require an accurate rowcount, for the reasons Enigma outlined.

SQL Server can perform a select count(*) extremely quickly, so just go ahead and use that instead.

blindman