Unanswered: Calculating with numbers and text in the same field - or - using the find fucntion

I'm trying to build a system to look at the hours a person has worked and then add them all up and check them with estimates.

The problem is the only way I could think of to denote who's hours are who's among employees is to have them enter the hours and then a hyphen or some kind of character and a name.

I then thought about on the workbook change event searching using the find function for a "-" in the case of a hyphen. This worked bout I was hoping it would give me the cell's range NOT the value of the cell. Because then I was hoping to get rid of the hypen and the name so that the calculations could actually take place.

So onto my question, is there a way to get the find value to return the range for the cell? Or is there a way to have Excel ignore anything after a certain character so the calculations still take place even with text after them.

I can post my .xls file if that would help.

Re: Calculating with numbers and text in the same field - or - using the find fucntion

Check Excel Help. Use the 'Left' function and get the left 5 characters (HH/MM), have these read in another cell that is formated for time.

Originally posted by Lith
    I'm trying to build a system to look at the hours a person has worked and then add them all up and check them with estimates.

The problem is the only way I could think of to denote who's hours are who's among employees is to have them enter the hours and then a hyphen or some kind of character and a name.

I then thought about on the workbook change event searching using the find function for a "-" in the case of a hyphen. This worked bout I was hoping it would give me the cell's range NOT the value of the cell. Because then I was hoping to get rid of the hypen and the name so that the calculations could actually take place.

So onto my question, is there a way to get the find value to return the range for the cell? Or is there a way to have Excel ignore anything after a certain character so the calculations still take place even with text after them.

I can post my .xls file if that would help.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions