Unanswered: Form sub form relationship

I have a couple of subforms on a main form. my subforms are based on different queries. How do i directly manipulate records in the subform in code?
    the light is on, someone is home, but they dont know they are. HELLO!

Re: Form sub form relationship

Originally posted by dapman2002
    I have a couple of subforms on a main form. my subforms are based on different queries. How do i directly manipulate records in the subform in code?

Have u considered using Record Sets ?
    My environment: Windows XP/ Access 2000 - Using Microsoft DAO 3.6 Library

Originally posted by Mixirica
    Have u considered using Record Sets ?
    I am just exploring that now. Thanks Mixirica

Question Re: Form sub form relationship

Are you wanting to reference the controls on the subform or the underlying data with recordsets as Mixirica mentioned?

Gregg

Originally posted by basicmek
    Are you wanting to reference the controls on the subform or the underlying data with recordsets as Mixirica mentioned?

Gregg
    I am trying to add some records and edit others shown in the suform. Also select records in 2nd subfom based on selection in 1st subform.
    Last edited by dapman2002; 11-18-03 at 13:49.

Smile Re: Form sub form relationship

I am trying to add some records and edit others shown in the suform. Also select records in 2nd subfom based on selection in 1st subform.
    OK.

To refer to a subform and its controls you can use code such as the following:

Dim frm As Form, ctl As Control

Set frm = Forms!MainFormName
    Set ctl = frm.SubformName (the subform is a main form control)

With ctl.Form

'use the Form property of the Subform to reference its controls and do something with them whether it be change a property or change a field value.

End With

Set frm = Nothing
    Set ctl = Nothing

If you could provide a more specific example of what you are trying to do it might help. Also, are both of the subforms linked to the main form or is this a subform within a subform arrangement?

Sometimes table manipulation is better accomplished with recordsets.

Gregg

OK.

To refer to a subform and its controls you can use code such as the following:

Dim frm As Form, ctl As Control

Set frm = Forms!MainFormName
    Set ctl = frm.SubformName (the subform is a main form control)

With ctl.Form

'use the Form property of the Subform to reference its controls and do something with them whether it be change a property or change a field value.

End With

Set frm = Nothing
    Set ctl = Nothing

If you could provide a more specific example of what you are trying to do it might help. Also, are both of the subforms linked to the main form or is this a subform within a subform arrangement?

Sometimes table manipulation is better accomplished with recordsets.

Gregg
    Thanks basicmek
    what i have is a main form which is linked to a bookings and bookingdetail, table via a query, which gives all booking details for a flight or flights(each booking can contain more than one flight), in one subform i have a list of all passengers in the particular booking and in the second subform i have a list of all the flights in the booking. I want to be able to click on the second subform and display just the passengers for the selected flight and booking in the first subform.

Thanks Dap

Smile Re: Form sub form relationship

Thanks basicmek
    what i have is a main form which is linked to a bookings and bookingdetail, table via a query, which gives all booking details for a flight or flights(each booking can contain more than one flight), in one subform i have a list of all passengers in the particular booking and in the second subform i have a list of all the flights in the booking. I want to be able to click on the second subform and display just the passengers for the selected flight and booking in the first subform.

Thanks Dap
    Is this just for data display or data entry as well? I was just thinking that it sounded like something a listbox might be used for rather than a subform.

Gregg

Is this just for data display or data entry as well? I was just thinking that it sounded like something a listbox might be used for rather than a subform.

Gregg
    Thanks Gregg
    originally it was for data entry as well but as you say I could use list boxes and then invove a form fom there for data entry.

Dap

Question Re: Form sub form relationship

Thanks Gregg
    originally it was for data entry as well but as you say I could use list boxes and then invove a form fom there for data entry.

Dap
    Dap,

Are you Ok with this or would you like a little help?

And, did your original questions get answered or have the questions changed?

Gregg

Dap,

Are you Ok with this or would you like a little help?

And, did your original questions get answered or have the questions changed?

Gregg
    Thanks for your help and sorry for the late reply. I have used listboxes instead and envoke a form for the data input.

Thanks DAp