Unanswered: Help Rebuilding Server on Box with Different Name

We are moving our data center and part of this process involves implementing new server names and new logical drives. Can someone point me to some documentation or give me some tips to tell me what steps I should follow?

I assume I should install SQL Server 2000 on the new box and then restore master, model and msdb using backups from the old server, but I don't know what impact the different server names will have on these system tables.

I'm also concerned about the impact of a different server name on replication, dts, linked servers and remote servers.

Thanks, Dave

Re: Help Rebuilding Server on Box with Different Name

Dave,

We have done the same thing a few times. I tried a different way the first few times and I got nothing but trouble. I learned the lesson by not cutting any corner and since then every move we did had very little trouble. The best way I can recommand to you is to do it from scratch. It's the cleanest way. Script your DTS, Replication, User IDs, and Scheduled Tasks. Record all remote servers, linked servers, SQL Mail setup, and the DB Server configuration. Setup the SQL 2000 in the new box and restore all the user databases, then apply all the recorded changes and run all the scripts from the old server.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks Joe. Those are the steps I've built into my project plan. I was hoping for some shortcuts, but anticipated having to rebuild everything from scratch. Do the steps below look correct?

Replicaton (transactional)
    - Create the scripts
    - Perform global name changes (find/replace) to replace server names
    - Run scripts on Publisher
    - Run snapshot, log reader and distribution agents

For DTS I assume I'll need to do the following:
    - Script each package
    - Run the scripts against the new server
    - Open each script and change the connection properties

For remote servers
    - sp_dropserver / sp_addserver

Linked Servers
    - manually change each connection to reference new server names

Master Database
    - How do I handle the passwords? I believe there is a DTS process to transfer passwords, but am not certain.
    - Do I need to recreate each backup device?

Dave

Originally posted by DBADave
    Thanks Joe. Those are the steps I've built into my project plan. I was hoping for some shortcuts, but anticipated having to rebuild everything from scratch. Do the steps below look correct?

Replicaton (transactional)
    - Create the scripts
    - Perform global name changes (find/replace) to replace server names
    - Run scripts on Publisher
    - Run snapshot, log reader and distribution agents

For DTS I assume I'll need to do the following:
    - Script each package
    - Run the scripts against the new server
    - Open each script and change the connection properties

For remote servers
    - sp_dropserver / sp_addserver

Linked Servers
    - manually change each connection to reference new server names

Master Database
    - How do I handle the passwords? I believe there is a DTS process to transfer passwords, but am not certain.
    - Do I need to recreate each backup device?

Dave
    You could restore master - do not forget to change name in sysservers.

That's a good plan, Dave. I don't know what all you have in the server. You might want to check out whether there's any exe(s) or service(s) installed on the box. Remember you have to also change the server name in you DTS packages too.

To transfer logins from the old to the new, see BOL under 'How to set up and perform a log shipping role change '. I know you are not doing role change in log shipping, but the first few steps are great step by step guide to transfer logins.

Depending on how your backup job is set up, you may be able to script it just like a scheduled task.

Good luck!