Thread: SQL and MSQuery

Unanswered: SQL and MSQuery

Is there anyway to disable the Allow Editing in MSQuery so as not to allow any data modifications to a SQL db. I have already done revoked all access in SQL. Yet, I can still modify in Excel using MSQuery and send it back to the SQL DB.

Re: SQL and MSQuery

Read-Only.

Provided Answers: 1
    If you can still edit the data, you either haven't revoked all write priveleges or you are connecting as the admin or system administrator.

Set up a role that only has read priveleges, and then assign your users to this role. Remove ALL public priveleges from your tables.

blindman

You can assign that user(s) the role of db_datareader for the database they are accessing. How are they connecting from excel to sql server - what type of authentification are you using ?

Originally posted by rnealejr
    You can assign that user(s) the role of db_datareader for the database they are accessing. How are they connecting from excel to sql server - what type of authentification are you using ?
    NT Authentication; I initially started with revoking db_datwriter then I went to db_datareader. I have not revoked public, yet. I am going to try it.