Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    25

    Unanswered: Question regarding filters

    I have a table, Tickets, with about 8000 entries in it. Today, I was working with a form that is bound to a query which is bound to the table. While I was filtering a specific group of numbers, I noticed one record was not in sequential order with the rest of the retrieved records. I was wondering what would cause this. I tried removing all sorting levels and re-sorting the data but this on record was always out of order. To fix the problem, I not only had to re-create the table but also the query the form uses. If anyone has any advice to why this would occur and how to prevent it from happening again, I would be truly grateful.

    tibbsy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    574
    Is it out of order in the query? By what field do you sort in the query? Is it the first field in the query?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    25
    Originally posted by jmrSudbury
    Is it out of order in the query? By what field do you sort in the query? Is it the first field in the query?

    The record is not out of sort in the query. In the query, the records are sorted according to the primary key. While looking for solutions to the problem, I deleted the sort orders in the underlying query. This one record was still out of place (numerically) when we filtered records. Fixing the problem was a headache and I was wondering how to avoid such a situation again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    574
    When you apply your filter, is there anything in the Order By property? Setting the Order by property to the sorting you need should fix this. As well, to prevent access from pulling up data in the order in which it was entered, try compacting the back end. According to Microsoft, this will reorder according to your index.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    25
    The order by property was not originally set. While I was trying to solve the problem it was set to the primary key. Again, the one record was out of numerical sequence. I will try compacting the backend....I do not remember if I did try compacting the backend. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •