Unanswered: Native Delphi 5 MSSQL driver versus ODBC

I am using Delphi 5 and SQL Server 2000. I connected through the ODBC, but my application is slow. So I thought the Native Delphi 5 MSSQL driver would be faster. But it is actually slower. Am I doing something wrong or is ODBC faster ?

Any other suggestions how I can improve my performance with the connections ? I am trying to optimise my application, just want to know if anybody got a suggestion with the connections.

Thanks
    Karen

Karen,

What exactly is slow ? ie Connection to the database, executing stored procedures, inserts, updates, general queries ?

If a query is slow, have you an example ?

thanks

Originally posted by mtracey
    Karen,

What exactly is slow ? ie Connection to the database, executing stored procedures, inserts, updates, general queries ?

If a query is slow, have you an example ?

thanks
    The application that I am working on was first done in Delphi as front-end and Paradox as the db. My job is to get it to run on Sql Server. Everything works ok. Got report and graphs that is running fine. But a part of the application draw maps and that is really slow on sql server. It is mush slower than when it is running on paradox. I first thought that it can be because most of the code is using delphi table compnents and not query components. So I changed the code that it uses query components, but it is still really slow. Not a big difference. So I am now looking at the connections between delphi and sql server. As I said I used ODBC and the BDE. But I thought the native delphi driver MSSQL that does not use ODBC will be faster. But it is not. So now I am trying to figure out if ODBC is actually faster than MSSQL, or are my settings maybe wrong ? Or what other connections can I look at?

regards
    karen

To be honest, Karen I know nothing about Delphi and how it interacts with SQL via query components.

Are the query components optimisable ?
    Are the query's themselves efficient ?
    Are there correct indexes on the SQL server tables ?

You need to ask yourself these types of questions I guess.

Not sure you're going to get an answer here unless someone here has Delphi knowledge.

Mark