Question Unanswered: Repeating Rows - Excluding repeating fields

Hi,

I've got a problem for which I've been trying to fix for a little while but kept putting it off. I don't know how hard (or simple) it is to solve but slapping a "SELECT DISTINCT ..." at the start of my query doesn't work.

I'm using ASP .NET which is accessing a Microsoft Access database. Imagine I'm using this table below (not actual table, simplified version) with the following fields;

ContactId, Address and Comments.

I'm trying to create a query, which selects every row (and every column) in the database, but does not return a dataset containing rows that have repeated data in the Comments field only.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Goran

I am not sure about what you are saying, but the only way to avoid selecting many records that are the same, is by using "SELECT DISTINCT(comments), ..........."

Well, to clear things up, basically I want to get rid of rows where there is repeating 'comments' but not rows where there are repeating 'contactid's and 'address's.

Remember, I want to select all columns

Thanks

Goran

You could try a two-query approach:

SELECT DISTINCT ID, Address
    in the first query (qryContactsA), then do a join on the results of that query and the original table to get just one instance of the comments - something like:

SELECT qryContactsA.ID, qryContactsA.Address, First(tblContacts.Comments) AS FirstOfComments
    FROM tblContacts INNER JOIN qryContactsA ON (tblContacts.Address = qryContactsA.Address) AND (tblContacts.ID = qryContactsA.ID)
    GROUP BY qryContactsA.ID, qryContactsA.Address;

depending on what criteria you want for selecting which matching comments field is shown.

Regards

Craig

Re: Repeating Rows

Well, I think u must do the following code:

"SELECT DISTINCT Comments,Address, ContactID FROM table"

But if different people sends the same comments, the select statement I dave you will take one of those different peoples. For more information, Please call me at (083) 669 9480

Please do not mind my English, I am a South African.

Re: Repeating Rows - Excluding repeating fields

switch to the SQL window from the QBE (query by example) window and try this

SELECT Table1.ContactID, Table1.Address, First(Table1.Comments) AS [Sample Comments]
    FROM Table1
    GROUP BY Table1.Comments
    HAVING (((Count(Table1.Comments))>1));

i guess the key here is the HAVING Count(Comment) > 1. hope i was able to help you in my own little way.

cheers,
    ReggieSter

Originally posted by GoMo
    Hi,

I've got a problem for which I've been trying to fix for a little while but kept putting it off. I don't know how hard (or simple) it is to solve but slapping a "SELECT DISTINCT ..." at the start of my query doesn't work.

I'm using ASP .NET which is accessing a Microsoft Access database. Imagine I'm using this table below (not actual table, simplified version) with the following fields;

ContactId, Address and Comments.

I'm trying to create a query, which selects every row (and every column) in the database, but does not return a dataset containing rows that have repeated data in the Comments field only.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Goran

GoMo, please show example result rows

rudy

TABLE Contacts

ContactId, Address, Comments
    =============================================
    1, goran@creatingit.com, can you help me out?
    2, goran@creatingit.com, can you help me out?
    3, goran@creatingit.com, i haven't solved it yet?
    =============================================

basically, what i'm trying to do is view all the contacts that have been received through the site and logged in the database, but in some cases people have clicked the submit button twice (damn them!).

note that in the actual table, i have about 10 columns and still need to select all of them (including the 'ContactId', which i guess, doesn't make them repeating rows).

select * from Contacts
    where comments in
    ( select comments from Contacts
    group by comments
    having count(*) > 1 )

this will return "dupe" rows, i.e. rows with comments that have been duplicated

rudy

sorry, i may have explained it wrong.

i'm trying to eliminate duplicate rows from the results. so it will only display one occurance of each contact received.

note that the field 'Comments' is of datatype 'Memo'. i'm not sure if that has any effect on how the sql query is constructed, since the last query that you provided returned the following error:

"Invalid Memo, OLE, or Hyperlink Object in subquery 'Comments'."

thanks

gee, i didn't know that about memo items

i guess you cannot run the sql on that table then

okay, another approach:

Code:
    select id, address
      , left(comments,100) as comments100
    into Contacts100
     from Contacts
    this will create a table with a Text instead of memo field

then run this:

Code:
    select * from Contacts100
    where comments100 in 
    ( select comments100 from Contacts100
    group by comments100
    having count(*) > 1 )
    this will identify the dupe rows, and you can then use the ID numbers to go back into the original table and delete the ones you want

rudy

Don't worry about it, i've found a compromise by selecting all the columns in the tables besides the ContactId and sticking a DISTINCT at the front.

It seems to have solved the problem, but now it's cutting off longer comments after 255 chars. (it didn't do that with the original "SELECT * FROM ...." query) I guess thats because i'm using memo or something. But I'm not so worried now as we've just had a heated arguement with the client and we just wanna get the site out the door.

Thanks for all your help Rudy, and the other guys of course.

Goran (GoMo)