Thread: SQL Question

Unanswered: SQL Question

I have an sql statement that uses values from an aary. Here is the statement. The array is "arr"

Forms!MissingItems!ContactName.RowSourceType = "Table/Query"
    Forms!MissingItems!ContactName.RowSource = "SELECT tbl_Contact.first_name, tbl_Contact.last_name " & _
    "FROM tbl_Contact " & _
    "WHERE ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(0) & "] Is Null) AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(1) & "] Is Null) " & _
    "AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(2) & "]) Is Null) AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(3) & "]) Is Null) " & _
    "AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(4) & "]) Is Null) " & _
    "ORDER BY tbl_Contact.first_name; "
    rien = MsgBox("Double Click on the contact name to add information.", vbInformation)

A select statement is used to determine how many conditions go into the where statement. In this case six elements are in the array so six conditions are imposed. The problem is that the SQL works when two values of the array are filled and two conditions imposed but it deos'nt work when more then two values of the array are used in the SQL.

Any ideas why this is so

Question i'm not sure but.....

I think your missing some close ')'

or is this an example

here is a more concrete example.

This SQL statement works, with two of the array values filled.

Forms!MissingItems!ContactName.RowSource = "SELECT tbl_Contact.first_name, tbl_Contact.last_name " & _
    "FROM tbl_Contact " & _
    "WHERE (((tbl_contact.[" & arr(0) & "]) Is Null) AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(1) & "]) Is Null))" & _
    rien = MsgBox("Double Click on the contact name to add information.", vbInformation)

This SQL deos not work with three of the array values filled. The list box does not get filled

"FROM tbl_Contact " & _
    "WHERE (((tbl_contact.[" & arr(0) & "]) Is Null) AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(1) & "]) Is Null) AND (tbl_contact.[" & arr(2) & "]) Is Null))" & _

i think the parenthese are right but im not sure

In the last where clause line:

(tbl_contact.[" & arr(2) & "]) Is Null))" & _

you're missing an open parenthesis.
    it should be

((tbl_contact.[" & arr(2) & "]) Is Null))" & _

Remember to always count them.. the number of opening ones should be equal to the number of closing one.

In the case of my first post do i have to restart counting the parenthese every time i change line?

in a select statement start counting from the first parenthese to the last one

a trick i use is for example :

()(( )))()

i start counting up and down so
    1 then minis 1 .plus 2. minus 3. plus 1 .minus 1. if its not 0 im missing some parenthese

if 0 then OK
    if + then need more Close
    if - then need more Open

in your case its +2 ---->

"WHERE ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(0) & "] Is Null) AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(1) & "] Is Null) " & _
    "AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(2) & "]) Is Null) AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(3) & "]) Is Null) " & _

this is wright ---->

"WHERE ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(0) & "]) Is Null) AND ((tbl_contact.[" & arr(1) & "]) Is Null) " & _

Solved ;-)
    or not ??? :-(

no, you count for whole WHERE clause
    SQL doesn't pay any attention to how many lines you have, because it all gets put together into one big 'line' anyway.