Unanswered: SQL function on an Access Form

I have a SQL function that take input params and return a single value. I want to call this function from an Access Form/Report and have the value displayed in a control on the Form. The input params for the function comes from data in the table the Form is bound to.

I can get the form to show a record set based on a control on the form from stored procedures but I don't understand how to display the data directly from a SQL function on the .adp Form. How do I do this?

Bjorn

Re: SQL function on an Access Form

i've been wanting to do the same thing but unfortunately i still cannot. i've been trying to read several sql books including Mastering SQL just to look for the answer. for the meantime what i do is i run the ff. sample:

dim RetVal as Variant (or specific data type if you wish)

set myDB = CurrentDB
    set rsInfo = myDB.OpenRecordset([SQL command that returns a single value])

' then I do the ff. and save the value return to a variable

With rsInfo
    .MoveFirst
    RetVal = ![Fieldname or return fieldname]
    .Close
    End With

' you can then have the variable be displayed in one of your form's control

Set rsInfo = Nothing
    Set myDB = Nothing

if you happen to get the SQL command that would solve the same problem we have, could you pass it on to me. if you don't mind.

cheers,
    ReggieSter

Originally posted by Bjorn
    I have a SQL function that take input params and return a single value. I want to call this function from an Access Form/Report and have the value displayed in a control on the Form. The input params for the function comes from data in the table the Form is bound to.

I can get the form to show a record set based on a control on the form from stored procedures but I don't understand how to display the data directly from a SQL function on the .adp Form. How do I do this?

Bjorn

Thanks! I will try it. It does not seem ideal as you still have to deal with a record set to get only one value but I will work with it for now.

Bjorn

Use DLookup. You can use variables in VBA to make the DLookup command more dynamic, using arguments passed into your sub or function.

DLookup(<field_name>,<table_name>,<criteria>)

<criteria> is a string, a WHERE clause without the 'WHERE'
    <field_name> can be an expression

There are other domain functions, DMax, DFirst, etc that may be more useful, depending on your needs. Look them up in help.

Thanks!