Unanswered: check and save filename

hi,

how can i retrieve the filename in that folder???

i wanted to save a file and how do i check that i do not overwrite the file i have in the folder???

example. i have a file named "AccessDB.mdb" and i want to make a copy and named it "AccessDB1.mdb"
    how do i have an auto increment number behind the filename??? if another user copy the file again, how can i force it to saved as "AccessDB3.mdb"???? how can i check if there is same filename in MY FOLDER????

pls advice
    nono

Re: check and save filename

have you used the FileSystemObject object access vba has to offer? it has plenty of methods that you could use for specific tasks.

1) to retrieve a filename you use the GetFile method.
    2) FileExist method would tell you wheter the file parameter entered exists or not, then you do the saving by using the FileCopy method

the rest would be up to your programming technique on how you would save the file increments. hope i was able to help in my own little way.

cheers,
    ReggieSter

Originally posted by damnnono_86
    hi,

i wanted to save a file and how do i check that i do not overwrite the file i have in the folder???

example. i have a file named "AccessDB.mdb" and i want to make a copy and named it "AccessDB1.mdb"
    how do i have an auto increment number behind the filename??? if another user copy the file again, how can i force it to saved as "AccessDB3.mdb"???? how can i check if there is same filename in MY FOLDER????

pls advice
    nono

Smile Re: check and save filename

Originally posted by damnnono_86
    hi,

pls advice
    nono
    If you use the objects that ReggieSter is refering to, you will need a reference to the Microsoft Scripting Runtime library.

Gregg

hi,

i think i have posted twice for this topic. i have attached a db at this link

http://www.dbforums.com/t971325.html

i do not know to make a hyperlink here so soory for the inconvenience. i think in the coding, i have done somthing wrong on it.

pls advice
    nono