Unanswered: Access workgroup issue?

Hi!

When I try to open(using msa 2000) an accessfile i got the following message:

You do not have the necessary permissions to use the "my file" object. Have your system administrator ....

Together with the accessfile i got username and password delivered but i'm never prompted for that.

I assume that this is workgroup issue.

Any help out there?

//Ola

Smile Re: Access workgroup issue?

yes it is my friend. if you have the username and password correctly typed and you were able to get into the file then most likely the username given to you or the group it belongs was not given proper permission to access the object you would like to get your hands on.

try informing the guy who did the workgroup and ask him to check on the permissions issued to users or groups, especialy on the object "my file"

hope it helps,
    ReggieSter

Originally posted by olaper
    Hi!

When I try to open(using msa 2000) an accessfile i got the following message:

You do not have the necessary permissions to use the "my file" object. Have your system administrator ....

Together with the accessfile i got username and password delivered but i'm never prompted for that.

I assume that this is workgroup issue.

Any help out there?

//Ola

Hi!

I think you misunderstood my problem. I've got 4 things:

a databasefile
    a .ldb-file
    a username
    a password

I don't get prompted to enter the user+pass, instead I get the errormessage in my first post.

Do I need to make/copy some other file, for instance something called workgroupgile or so????

//Ola

Smile

Hi!

I think you misunderstood my problem. I've got 4 things:

a databasefile
    a .ldb-file
    a username
    a password

I don't get prompted to enter the user+pass, instead I get the errormessage in my first post.

Do I need to make/copy some other file, for instance something called workgroupgile or so????

//Ola
    Ola

You might check and see that you are still a member of the workgroup that you expect to be. Recently I had a users machine that somehow managed to reset itself to the system.mdw file as his workgroup file. He never got to attempt a logon, but instead got a similar if not the same message as you are getting. When I used the workgroup administrator to rejoin the secured workgroup file everything was fine.

Not sure I know why, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Gregg

Thanks, but

What is a workgropup? How do I check if I??? is a member of such an animal?

I'm not on the same machine where the database was produced.

//Ola

Question

Thanks, but

What is a workgropup? How do I check if I??? is a member of such an animal?

I'm not on the same machine where the database was produced.

//Ola

What Access version are you using?

Gregg

Im running 2000 but the files were produced with an older access version.

//Ola

Smile

Im running 2000 but the files were produced with an older access version.

//Ola
    I think this was an option in Access 2000.
    If not the Workgroup Admistrator is in the folder structure under Microsoft Office somewhere. Access 2002 allows viewing by selecting from the menus--- Tools/Security/Workgroup Administator. Here you can view the current workgroup that your machine belongs to. You don't need a database file open at this time.

Beyond this you will probably have to speak with the person responsible for administering the database to make sure your a member of the appropriate workgroup.

Gregg