Thread: Bandwith usage

Unanswered: Bandwith usage

When using Access files the net load increases greatly. When program is using Access database that is located in a network drive, the program seems to load the whole Access database when doing even simple query. The first query is the worst, but the next queries also take quite amount of bandwith, about 100 kB each even when using very simple queries.

The problem gets worse when there are multiple consecutive users, and I'm afraid the network could be overloaded in some situations.

Is there any way to prevent this bandwith-consuming behaviour?

I'm using Excel+Access and sometimes splitted database, all being 2000 versions. Databases are compacted regularly, and indexes are being used.

jnyman

As far as i know, u need to switch to a database server using MS-SQL Server 2000 to minimize network traffic. MS-Access is not very peformance conscious when it comes to networks. Try using ADP files for front-end and the upsizing wizard.

Re: Bandwith usage

hiyyah, based on the same experience, what i usually do is i run a query on the table located in the server and putting the recordset returned in the workstation application were i can play with. you can also use .RecordsetClone property if you wish.

i hope i was able to give you an idea that's worth considering.

cheers,
    ReggieSter

Originally posted by jnyman
    When using Access files the net load increases greatly. When program is using Access database that is located in a network drive, the program seems to load the whole Access database when doing even simple query. The first query is the worst, but the next queries also take quite amount of bandwith, about 100 kB each even when using very simple queries.

The problem gets worse when there are multiple consecutive users, and I'm afraid the network could be overloaded in some situations.

Is there any way to prevent this bandwith-consuming behaviour?

I'm using Excel+Access and sometimes splitted database, all being 2000 versions. Databases are compacted regularly, and indexes are being used.

jnyman

Question Unable to understand

Originally posted by rcbenito
    hiyyah, based on the same experience, what i usually do is i run a query on the table located in the server and putting the recordset returned in the workstation application were i can play with. you can also use .RecordsetClone property if you wish.

i hope i was able to give you an idea that's worth considering.

cheers,
    ReggieSter
    Would u please elaborate on it ? How does it decrease network traffic ?

Thanks for suggestions, but there is one issue I forgot to mention. Upgrading is not an option, since in our office we are not allowed to keep own servers (at least currently). That thing may change in the future, but the situation is currently quite awful.

What I was currently looking for was some Access "trick" or some workaround, if there exists any.

jnyman