Unanswered: db2 8.1 windows: instance path

Hi,

i am running db2 and created a sample database a few days ago. This sample database is running in an instance called "db2". This instance seems to be on my c:\db2 and all my created databases appear in c:\db2\node0000\Sql0000*

First of all, is the Instance db2 represented by the node0000 folder?
    How can i move the whole instance to another path, i want the databases to be created elsewhere.

I just found "db2relocatedb" as a command, but this seems not the best idea if you want a general change in terms of filesystem path.

I checked the ControlCenter and cant find anything how to change the path, i am wondering anyway how it was decided to use c:\db2, i installed the product in a different path and have not defined c:\db2 in the setup procedure or somewhere else.

Thanks for input.

marc

On the db2icrt command to create an instance, there is an option for Windows as follows:

-p InstProfPath

Specifies the instance profile path.

I don't know if this is what you want. I doubt you can change an existing instance, but you can backup the databases, drop the instance (db2idrop), recreate the instance (assuming the above will create the path you want), and then restore the databases.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Re: db2 8.1 windows: instance path

Hi,

do you want to move the instance or have new databases created elsewhere?

Basically, in order to change the default database path for new dbs you update the instance configuration:

db2 update dbm cfg using dftdbpath X:\trythisinstead

Johann

Originally posted by loge
    Hi,

i am running db2 and created a sample database a few days ago. This sample database is running in an instance called "db2". This instance seems to be on my c:\db2 and all my created databases appear in c:\db2\node0000\Sql0000*

First of all, is the Instance db2 represented by the node0000 folder?
    How can i move the whole instance to another path, i want the databases to be created elsewhere.

I just found "db2relocatedb" as a command, but this seems not the best idea if you want a general change in terms of filesystem path.

I checked the ControlCenter and cant find anything how to change the path, i am wondering anyway how it was decided to use c:\db2, i installed the product in a different path and have not defined c:\db2 in the setup procedure or somewhere else.

Thanks for input.

marc

Hi,

basically i want to move everything in my path, that is:

c:\db2\nodexxxx\sqlxxxx

Am i correct that nodexxx is my instance? and sqlxxx are my databases?

Why cant i define an instance visually in the ControlCenter and define a path. The mask in the GUI tool doesnt show me any path at all. Not for an instance, not for a database.

When i want to perform: db2 update ... on the shell, i get

Commandline Environment wasnt initialized. (Translation from german error message)

=======> this was solved. I thought i can execute db2 directly on the dos shell instead i have to use db2cmd

Originally posted by jsander
    Hi,

do you want to move the instance or have new databases created elsewhere?

Basically, in order to change the default database path for new dbs you update the instance configuration:

db2 update dbm cfg using dftdbpath X:\trythisinstead

Johann
    Last edited by loge; 11-21-03 at 10:21.

db2 is the name of the isntance and nodexxxx is the node number , which for a non-partitioned db is always node0000 . sqlxxxx is the database reference ..

Sathyaram

Hi,

basically i want to move everything in my path, that is:

c:\db2\nodexxxx\sqlxxxx

Am i correct that nodexxx is my instance? and sqlxxx are my databases?

Why cant i define an instance visually in the ControlCenter and define a path. The mask in the GUI tool doesnt show me any path at all. Not for an instance, not for a database.

When i want to perform: db2 update ... on the shell, i get

Commandline Environment wasnt initialized. (Translation from german error message)
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

ok, i found the "dftdbpath" paramter inside my instance. It was just "c:", now i tried to change to "c:\mypath", but i cant define any path behind the drive letter. Is this normal? I tried with trailing backslash and even with slashes instead of backslashes. No luck.

The same goes when doing it via "db2 update dbm..." i get the error:
    "invalid entry for dftdbpath"

Can you only define the drive letter? This would be a little bit dissapointing.

marc
    Last edited by loge; 11-21-03 at 10:23.

Yes ... You can define only the drive letter ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

ok, i found the "dftdbpath" paramter inside my instance. It was just "c:", now i tried to change to "c:\mypath", but i cant define any path behind the drive letter. Is this normal? I tried with trailing backslash and even with slashes instead of backslashes. No luck.

The same goes when doing it via "db2 update dbm..." i get the error:
    "invalid entry for dftdbpath"

Can you only define the drive letter? This would be a little bit dissapointing.

marc
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

yeah i just read it somewhere on the web too, this seems to be a Win32 only issue. On unix you can define /mypath and so on.

So, at the end, i cant place my database files in a subfolder on windows. This sounds like an idiotic restriction...

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Yes ... You can define only the drive letter ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Do you mind me asking why you want to move the folders to a sub-folder?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

This is obvious, i have a folder structure in mind when it coms to my databases. Nothing serious, but on my PC, where i develop applications, i dont want to have too much folders in my C: root. But DB2 will place its instance stuff in the root, no matter if i like that. Its really only a personal taste issue.

Originally posted by Marcus_A
    Do you mind me asking why you want to move the folders to a sub-folder?

same problem in UNIX

Hi folks,

I have the same problem in UNIX. After installed DB2V8 FP4 on AIX4.3.3. One intance called db2inst1 already been setup on /db2home/db2inst1. Now I want to create the second instance say db2test on /aixdb2/db2test. I think what I need to do is
    db2set -i db2inst1 db2instprof=/aixdb1/db2test,
    db2icrt -u db2fenc2 db2test

After this, I still found the instance has been created unter /db2home/db2inst1. Anyone has any idea what happened? Do I need to update dbm cfg as well?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Catcat

instance path..

I have a work around for this... not sure if it really helps..

1. create a logical drive as the path that u want to create the database.
    For ex: map the folder "c:\mypath" as "G:"
    2. Now if you create the database on "G:", the physical database will be placed under "c:\mypath" and you will find the db structure as "c:\mypath\db2\node0000\sql*"
    3. Be careful not to remove mapping of the folder to the drive. If the mapping is removed, the database will not startup as it still expects "G:" to exist.
    I do not advice this, but this is a work around.

Reg
    Ravi