Unanswered: "Discovery failed to null" error message when starting up Oracle Management Server

hey folks,

i am trying to get the Oracle Enterprise Manager to work and i get an error message. Here is what i've done so far.

1. Installed Oracle service. It is started (under Start>...>Services it says "Started").
    2. Created a Listener for the Oracle service via Net8 Assistant. It is also started.
    3. Created a Service Name in Net8 Assistant listening to the above mentioned Listener. When i tested it, it said "test successfull".
    4. Created an ODBC Data Source via the ODBC Administrator.
    5. Created a repository for the Oracle service using the Enterprise Configuration Assistant.

so now i am trying to start the Oracle Management Server and when i click on "start service", a command window opens and the following is on it:

"OEMCTRL for Windows NT: Version 2.1.0.1.0
    Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Starting the Oracle Management Server...VXA-3008 : Starting OMS Services, Wait.

[xxxxxxxxxx.ou.edu-DiscoveryThread][2003-11-20:11:9:26:765] Discovery of xxxxxxxxxxxx.ou.edu failed due to null

The OMS is now started and ready."

where xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the name of my machine. The status for the OracleManagementServer under Services is "Started", but when i go to the Oracle Enterprise Manager console and try to log in, it just locks up.
    any ideas?

Thanks.

Thumbs up

Hi,

If you are configured to point to a DNS server but the DNS server does not have an entry that corresponds to the output of the hostname command, then you will get this error.
    SATHISH .

i am a real newbe in Oracle. can you give me more information about what you said. i don't even know what a DNS server is. more details please.

thanks.

Thumbs up

Hi,

Place an entry in
    /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts for the hostname and IP address
    SATHISH .

omg, omg, that WORKED!!! thanks so much buddy. i've been mulling over this for weeks. haha. yes!