Unanswered: Backing up to different machine

I want to backup my databases on another remote machine, but ms sql doesnt seem to have that ability built in. Does anyone know to send the backup to a network mapped drive?

Background:

Currently, the backups are going to c:\backups located on the same machine, but I want the to go to machine backup in directories x:\backup

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Backing up to different machine

Try this,

BACKUP DATABASE [myDB] TO DISK = N'\\RemoteServerName\SharedDrive\myDB_Backup' WITH INIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = 'myDB backup', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

Thanks, ill give that a try.

Any reason you want to backup directly to a network drive ? If possible, I would backup to a local device, then move it to another device... However, tape is my first choice.

Would backing up to another machine in the network cause additional overheads to the network and indirectly effect the backup process?

If backup to a remote computer can't work, maybe you can consider replication, it is another way of backup!
    Patrick Chua
    LBMS ( Learn By My Self) NPQ ( No paper Qualification )

Having another server as a failover would be a nice situation. Anytime you push backups across a network you increase your chances for failure.

ok, i guess I should spell this out a little better. The program I am running now does not support replication. Any attempt to do so would violate the license agreement and cuse the software to fail. Because of this, I find myself only able to backup on the existing sql machine. I would like these backups to go to my archive machine on the network for safety. If at all possible, I would like the local and remote backups to be created at the same time.

Why not create a stored procedure to run after the backup has completed to copy to remote machine . That will do the task
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

Thats the problem I am having. The stored procedure is not problem, but I cant get sql to recognize the other drive on the other machine on the network. the command given above in this forum doesnt seem to work for me.

I have the backups currently going to c:\ on the local machine and have mapped a shared drive that is designated e:\ that points to the other machine, but when ever I try to backup to that location, it fails.

i believe using xp_cmdchell will solve the problem... do you have administrative rights over the shared folder.
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

yes i do, and I will look into that, thanks