Unanswered: Paradox 4.5 delayed printing

Hello,
    I hope somebody can help. Running Paradox 4.5 with Win2K. Whenever I print the forms, it takes awhile before it prints out from the printer. I could print from Windows without no problem, as well as doing a direct print from Dos or Command Prompt. By the way, the printer is an EPSON 24 pin printer. Is there a way to make changes within Paradox? I am using the standard printer, tried IBM emulation with no success. There is always a 30 to 45 second delay before it prints out.

You can try some of the other predefined printer drivers, or check the manual for the Epson and see if it emulates anything else (you may have to change the DIP switch settings on the printer), or has a setup string you could apply to a custom printer setting.

As for the delay it sounds like it might be a spooler delay. I'm not sure how to fix that in win2000, but on win9x it was a port configuation setting that needed to be changed to 'Print Directly to Port' (or something like that).

thanks...i will try that

Lightbulb

Also consider that, since Paradox 4.5 is an MS-DOS application, it thinks it's talking to a printer port. Unbeknownst to Paradox, Windows is capturing that data and spooling it. Printing only begins when the spool-file is complete and closed. But Paradox, of course, knows nothing of such things. And there was nothing in the old DOS-days to say "I'm finished printing now..." because there was obviously no need for it back then.

So, you need to check the DOS-mode settings on "printer port capture." Most commonly, Windows will wait a specified amount of time (perhaps the amount of time you're seeing...) with no output received from the DOS application, before it concludes that the application must be finished, closes the spool-file and sends it on its way.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com