Unanswered: [strange] date format issue: 2 servers, one query, 2 different results.

I'm running 2 WIN2K SP4 servers with MSSQL Server (v 7.00.1077). Both NT servers seems to have the same setup. I use the ADODB object to connect to MSSQL via OLE DB and notice that the following query generates an error on one server, not the other:

SELECT DATA FROM TABLE_1 WHERE ((TRANSACTION_DATE >='13/11/2003') AND (TRANSACTIONS_DATE <='20/11/2003')) [dates are DD/MM/YYYY]

Query on server_1:
    - using OLE DB: correct
    - using ODBC: correct
    - using Query Analyzer: error <The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value>

On server_2:
    - using OLE DB: error <The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value>
    - using ODBC: correct
    - using Query Analyzer: error <The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value>

Both servers have MDAC 2.8 RTM installed and a <select @@language> returns <us_english> via query analyzer and <français> via ODBC.

I'd like to setup Server 2 so that queries can be executed the same as on server 1.

Any ideas are welcomed!

Re: [strange] date format issue: 2 servers, one query, 2 different results.

There's a problem with 20/11/2003 in us_english format. Default is: MDY, so it's reading 20th as month, which is why you're getting that error.

Here's an article I found: http://members.lycos.nl/digispy/C2/P56/C2P56A1806.htm

G'luck!
    Meera

Possible there is something to do with locale settings of windows, check the "Region Options" in Control Panel for both servers.
    Shianmiin

I'd say the languages are different...and accordingingly each date format is different

Di SELECT * FROM master..syslanguages

I think English is the only one that mdy
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Here is the solution

(D/M/Y is a French date format).

I just had to set <French> to user's default language instead of <US_ENGLISH>. This means ODBC settings override the default SQL Server settings as OLE DB uses the default SQL Server setting.