Unanswered: Timeout when attempting to view DB List

I am having an issue with Enterprise Manager hanging when I attempt to view the list of databases. Also, Query Analyzer returns "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired" when I attempt to bring up the object browser.

I am able to connect through my application via ODBC, but if I attempt to create a new DSN using the SQL Server native driver, the process will hang after I enter my userID and password and click 'Next'. (In other words, when it is going to the database listing page.)

I also checked and the server shows up when I run OSQL -L, and I can query the databases via OSQL and Query Analyzer.

I bounced the server, but it did nothing for me.

Any ideas? What might I be able to look at to determine what the problem may be?

****PARAMETERS****
    SQL 2000 Standard on Windows 2000 Server SP4.

SQL Server is upgraded to SP3 with what I believe to be the latest HotFix. (@@version = 8.00.818)

The only major change as of late has been the removal of several databases that were no longer needed.

There are 78 Databases on the server, but I have had this server as high as 90 databases and still been able to view the database list.

Re: Timeout when attempting to view DB List

Sounds like a network connectivity issue. Did you try terminal servicing to the server and then trying it? You can check the sql error logs to see if there's anything more specific there. Unless, you have this problem after you've upgraded it to .818, then maybe it's an upgrade issue and you'll have to look in microsoft knowledge base.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, this is how it is acting via Terminal Services. I even logged directly into the server and it still acted this way.

I upgraded to '818' a month ago, and was able to view the list until late, yesterday. The only thing that I did was to drop a few unneccessary databases via Enterprise Manager.

It's just really frustrating and wierd!!

Nothing in the error logs?

Hmm... the only other thing I can think of is to detach a few dbs (the bigger ones) and try again... attach one at a time to see if there's a particular db that is causing the problem. I can't think why deleting a few db's will cause this error. You could also try increasing the query & login timeout periods on the server...

Meera

What happens if you register the sql server by ip ? Which version of mdac are you using ?

I'm logged on directly to the server. Would registering with the IP have anu effect.

Running MDAC 2.7. Thinking about going to 2.8 if I can find no other fix, but need to test on non-production, first.

There is an issue with one of the mdac versions that causes problems like this if you do not connect using the ip (or creating an entry in your hosts file). Which service pack are you using with 2.7 ?

Running version 2.71.9030.9.

Did you try the ip - also what are the protocols (including order) that you have listing in the client network utility ?

I tried the IP and it worked, but now using (local) is working as well.

Strange.

I tried moving the TCP/IP and Named Pipes around last night.

So very strange. I don't know what to make of it.

I really appreciate all of the input. I hadn't heard that about the IP registration. I'll repost if it starts up, again.

I'll definitely be looking into MDAC 2.8. Have you heard of any problems with 2.8?

Thanks again,

Steve

I am always cautious about downloading the latest mdac version unless I am having some serious issues. Check out msdn.microsoft.com and see if any known issues exist.

I know that's right. They always act like, "Oh yeah. No biggie. Upgrade your MDAC version."

I'm always lagging waiting to hear the good or the bad news.

Thanks again for all of your help.

You are right - "No Biggie", until the whole system dies. I actually had a service pack for a ms app that killed another ms app.

Happy to help.