Database concepts for marked-up textual documents

"Database concepts for marked-up textual documents"

I got this assignment... i don't know anything about it.. please help me.. tell me anything about it.. the references, the meaning of the topic or anything ..

This is a wild guess, but it might mean maintaining a database of text and links to insert into dynamic web pages.

For example, when someone runs a query on Google or some other search engine, they are querying a database using PHP or ASP or whatever the flavor of the day is at that moment. The results are converted into HTML (Hyper Text Mark-Up Language) and sent back to the inquistor to be displayed in his browser.
    Last edited by lmckelvy; 11-21-03 at 13:44.

Sounds close.. maybe that's the answer .. i got hint from my lecturer .. he said that what he want is the definition, its attributes, the use of it, the framework, structure and so on.. I still don't have any clues, but Imckelvy did give me some ideas.. Thanks !

Does anyone have anymore opinions ?

Thumbs up

Hi,

Based on your lecturer's hint, I think he's expecting you to give the definition of the Databse, What is meant by Attributes? Use of attributes & database, The overall framework of the database design, Structure of a database etc.,

Database Design :

This activity in creating a database application lays the groundwork for success in supporting current and future needs of the application. To design a database requires two steps. The two steps of designing a database are

1. Creating an entity-relationship diagram
    2. Translating an entity-relationship diagram into a logical data model

Creating an entity-relationship diagram and translating it into a logical data model is an involved process. The steps to execute this process, however, are important to ensure correct design of the tables that will support both the user interface and the reports. So, even though the users will interface with the database in a controlled manner via the application, it is still important for the success of the application to have a strong database design.

Data modeling and database design :

In order to model data, there must be relationships between the various components that make up a database design. These components are stored as data, while the relationships between data can be defined explicitly via the use of integrity constraints and/or database triggers that model business rules, or implicitly by the data manipulation statements that select data for viewing or populate the database with new data. The following are the list of data relationships,

Primary keys
    Functional dependency
    Foreign keys

One common element in all the tables seen is that they contain multiple columns that "hang" off of one main column, called a primary key. This primary key is the column that determines the uniqueness of every row in the database. In the primary key, there can be no duplicate value for any row in the entire table. Each column that is not part of the primary key is considered to be "functionally dependent" on the primary key. This term simply means that the dependent column stores data that relates directly to or modifies directly each individual row.

Foreign key relationship is often referred to as a parent/child relationship because of where the data must appear in each table to create the foreign-key relationship. In the "child" table, the data can appear either as part of the primary key or as a functionally dependent column. However, in the "parent" table, the referenced column must appear in the primary key.
    SATHISH .

From satish_ct comment, it seems that the topic is all about the basic things of database.. but what is marked-up textual documents means ??