Thread: Hello

Unanswered: Hello

Hi, I'm new to the programming world, and brand new to this forum. I think I got thrown prematurely into an Advanced VisualBasics class at my tech school.
    I'm 37 and just went back to school when all the kids got out of diapers and into school themselves. I have the patience and the will to learn this programming mystery, but need a little help.
    I'm no computer genius in the first place, and probably won't even fit in with this crowd, but I'd really appreciate it if someone who may be willing to help me understand this stuff would email me or pm me.
    The text book we use seems to be speaking to "seasoned" programmers, and it doesn't fully explain the concepts.
    Anyone interested in helping?

Which version of visual basic and what is the course outline ?

Wow! Someone really responded. Thanks.

I'm learning VB.Net with ADO.Net, and like I said, I'm not yet experienced much in general programming languages period. I took a follow-up course to plain-old Visual Basics the quarter after the begginning course so I wouldn't forget what I'd just learned, but I haven't taken some of the introductory courses that I think would've helped. Am I making sense?
    I'm not sure what you're asking when you ask for the course outline, but I was just hoping that someone would have some general tips to help me understand the "overall". I've seen that there are books on the market such as "Visual Basics for Dummies" Are you familiar with these, and are they helpful? The text we're using does a very poor job of explaining things like when to surround something in quotation marks, what event to place statements in, etc. If you're interested, the text is called "Murach's VB.Net Database Programming with ADO.NET.
    Even giving me some good resources to find specific answers in laymen's terms would be helpful.
    Thanks
    macsfan

Any book by John Smiley would help you - he starts out assuming that you know very little and explains it as if you were in a classroom setting asking questions.

Here is a link to his vb.net book:

link

Hey, thanks alot. I'll check it out.

I appreciate any tip I can get.

I have used his books in courses I have taught and they really help if your inexperienced. There are not very many technical examples - so you might want to find another text that supplements this one.