Angry Unanswered: jdbc creating new database error mystifying

Hello all,

I am using Tomcat 5.0.9 and Mysql 4-0-14 which are running on a Sun/Solaris server. I have had both up and running for quite some time. I use databases to store information that is extracted to dynamically create a web app. To store/update/extract the information contained in these databases, there is an administration tool which serves this role. On one of the JSPs there is a form to create a new database which sends relevant data to a bean which handles the connections.

To create a new database, I use JDBC to connect to a dummy database. The following code is what I use to do so:

Connection connect =
    DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql:///"
    + "dummy" + "?user=" + userName +
    "&password=" + password);

Statement stmt = connect.createStatement();
    String create = new String( "create database " +
    databaseName );
    stmt.execute( create );
    stmt.close();

/* try connecting to the new database */
    connect = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql:///"
    + databaseName + "?user=" + userName +
    "&password=" + password);

stmt = connect.createStatement();

/* create an empty database */
    String script = new String(
    "source/home/webapps/mysql/scripts/createTables.sql" );

boolean check = stmt.execute( script );

When the user requests a new database, error messages are displayed at the bottom of the page, and I get

"You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'source /home/webapps/mysql/scripts/createTables.sql' at line 1"

I know that there are no errors in the script, because I can use mysql -u root -p -D <<databaseName>> to connect
    and source the script and everything works fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

clarification

In my code, there *is* a space between source and the directory in the following statement.

=> String script = new String( "source /home/webapps/mysql/scripts/createTables.sql" );