Unanswered: Is there a way to have SQL alert me when there is a Replication Conflict

Simple Question

SQL2k - Merge Replication

Lets hope that the answer is just as simple

Thx

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Re: Is there a way to have SQL alert me when there is a Replication Conflict

Yes.

O Joe

U so Funny - lol

Please Please Please Spill the Beans - Give me a Clue - a direction - a Hint.

This ones been bugging me 4 ages

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

I did the best I could to be simple! I'm glad you get the humor.

Anyway, You can set up a SQL Alert for the error that causes Replication Agent to fail. The alert will respond either by email or page. To setup a SQL Alert, on EM go to Management, under SQL Server Agent, click Alert. There are even a few demo's you can follow.

Hope this helps.

tehe

Thanks Joe - Methinks we need a sense of humour working with SQL

I had a look at this Previously but could'nt get it to work - I don't think I tried failing the Job though.

I'll have another Go

You would have thought though that the Boys @ MS would have put something in a little more gracefull than this, rather than force DBA's to periodically go in & take a look - ah well maybe in the nxt ver

Thanks

GW

MMMmmmm

Nice try.

I went to the Alerts under Replication Monitor on the Distributor (replication Alerts only exist here) & Created an Alert :-

Object = Replication Merge
    Counter = Conflicts/Sec
    Instance = [Publication Name]
    Alert if Counter = rises above
    Value = 0

Response Tab was set to Email me

manually generated a conflict which I looked at in Conflict Viewer

&

The Alert did'nt Fire (Last Occured = Never)

Poo

Joe do U have this working yourself - Can U see anything that I'm doing wrong ?

How Can I
    set up a SQL Alert for the error that causes Replication Agent to fail
    Thx

GW

Alert will be fired as long as the 'Enabled' got checked. But it may not generate any results though. The Alerts is nothing but a job that check the Event Log to see whether there's anything matches the parameter you setup in the Alerts. So make sure the event you wanted to be alerted to is logged in the Event Log and can be viewed when you do the Event Viewer.

There is a workaround. You can set a notifcation in the Merge Replication Againt to inform you if it fail. This way you don't have to go thru Alerts.