Thread: Archiving

Unanswered: Archiving

Not sure, but anyone have an idea on how to archive files/records in filemaker?

Re: Archiving

Explain further, what do you what to do or know. The word "archiving" has alot of meanings.

Originally posted by akz
    Not sure, but anyone have an idea on how to archive files/records in filemaker?
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Trying to save records or archive them, then delete them with some kind of script. Is it possible to use a 3rd party program to do thing.

FileMaker's records are constant, meaning everytime you create a new record, the old record is retained. A script to delete records (based upon your criteria) can be accomplished by using FileMaker's scripting (find, delete omitted etc) capibilities. There may be third party plug-ins to do this, but these functions are already within FileMaker's capibilities.

Originally posted by akz
    Trying to save records or archive them, then delete them with some kind of script. Is it possible to use a 3rd party program to do thing.
    Rick Knight

OK, but before I delete the files, I want to save them or archive them, to a different location. Must be able to retreive those records at another date if necessary. But would not want them in current program.

OK. Do a "Save a copy as" and make duplicate copy. This action will create the same database with it's records intact. Search this database for the records you want to delete. Next, from the menu 'delete records omitted', this will get rid of all records except those you orginally wanted to delete. Rename the file and your done.

Originally posted by akz
    OK, but before I delete the files, I want to save them or archive them, to a different location. Must be able to retreive those records at another date if necessary. But would not want them in current program.
    Rick Knight