Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4

    Unanswered: postgre and ident

    I am running postgres 7.2 on RH 7.3. When i create a user and try to connect to template1 i get the error: psql: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication failed for user "user".

    I have edited Pg_hba.conf and specified Trust instead of ident, but i still get the problem connecting from another workstation.

    I checked somewhere that i should start postmaster with "-i" option. This seems to work but when Postgres is automatically started on bootup the above error is noted.

    What should i change on the pg_ctl startup script in Init.d to make it work?

    Eric
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    33
    simply add the folowing argument in you pg_ctl command line:

    pg_ctl start -o "-i" DATABASEDIR

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Originally posted by le_mogwai
    simply add the folowing argument in you pg_ctl command line:

    pg_ctl start -o "-i" DATABASEDIR
    I have done this but still does not work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    33
    did you specify the url range in your pg_hba.conf?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Originally posted by le_mogwai
    did you specify the url range in your pg_hba.conf?
    How do you specify this? pls assist.

    Eric

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    33
    In pg_hba, you have six columns:
    - the first define if you are in local or connecting using tcp/ip (host)
    - the second is the database to wich you want to applies the rule (may be 'all')
    - the third is the user to wich this rule applies
    - the fourth et fifth define the ip range. Suppose you want to allow connection to all the ip beginning by 192.168.0.xxx, then, you will put 192.168.0.1 in the fourth and 255.255.255.0 in th fifth.
    - the last one is the level of identification you want.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Originally posted by le_mogwai
    In pg_hba, you have six columns:
    - the first define if you are in local or connecting using tcp/ip (host)
    - the second is the database to wich you want to applies the rule (may be 'all')
    - the third is the user to wich this rule applies
    - the fourth et fifth define the ip range. Suppose you want to allow connection to all the ip beginning by 192.168.0.xxx, then, you will put 192.168.0.1 in the fourth and 255.255.255.0 in th fifth.
    - the last one is the level of identification you want.
    i had only "host all trust". I will fix it with IP addresses. thankx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •