Thread: Inner Join help

Unanswered: Inner Join help

Hi,

I have a parent table and 6 child tables. I need to hook them up using join.

Parent Table -
    Col 1 Col2 Col3 etc.

ID (PK)

Child tables ( there exists 6 of these) -

Col1 Col2

ID(FK)

I cannot figure out the inner join syntax. Please help

BOL:

A join that displays only the rows that have a match in both joined tables. (This is the default type of join in the Query Designer.) For example, you can join the titles and publishers tables to create a result set that shows the publisher name for each title. In an inner join, titles for which you do not have publisher information are not included in the result set, nor are publishers with no titles. The resulting SQL for such a join might look like this:
    SELECT title, pub_name
    FROM titles INNER JOIN
    publishers ON titles.pub_id = publishers.pub_id

Inner Join help

What if I want to select all columns from titles ( I don't need any columns from Publisher)?
    I want to select all columns from titles based on the pub_id field.

The pub_id exists in titles (parent table) and it also exists in publisher(child table) plus 5 more child tables (say pub1 to pub 5).

Now how will the syntax be?

Originally posted by snail
    BOL:

A join that displays only the rows that have a match in both joined tables. (This is the default type of join in the Query Designer.) For example, you can join the titles and publishers tables to create a result set that shows the publisher name for each title. In an inner join, titles for which you do not have publisher information are not included in the result set, nor are publishers with no titles. The resulting SQL for such a join might look like this:
    SELECT title, pub_name
    FROM titles INNER JOIN

Re: Inner Join help

Originally posted by vivek_vdc
    What if I want to select all columns from titles ( I don't need any columns from Publisher)?
    I want to select all columns from titles based on the pub_id field.

The pub_id exists in titles (parent table) and it also exists in publisher(child table) plus 5 more child tables (say pub1 to pub 5).

Now how will the syntax be?
    SELECT titles.*
    FROM titles INNER JOIN

Re: Inner Join help

...plus 5 more child tables (say pub1 to pub 5)...

Oops! A "repeating group!" Or, a "repeating table" perhaps. Anytime you see a number after a table name it probably represents something that would be better represented by having just one table...
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com