Unanswered: Unable to connect to remote SQL Server DB

I am trying to remotely connect to a SQL Server 6.5 database and I am unable to do so. I can't create an ODBC connection or connect otherwise. I can connect when logged onto the server, but I cannot connect from a remote PC. There are no firewalls between the two machines and I have tried both IP address and hostname.

This is the error I keep getting:
    [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

The username and password are correct.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks...
    Eric

Can you ping the server from your machine ? Also, can you connect to the port that is used (and what is the port that the sql server is using ?) ?

Yes, I can ping the server from the remote PC, I cannot telnet to port 1433 the port on which I believe SQL Server is running.

That could be your problem - you need to find which port is being used.

What is the best way to figure out what port is being used?

If you check the server properties, it should tell you . In 7 and 2k, you run the Server Network Utility. In 6.5, I believe it's in Enterprise Manager somewhere, but my memory is rusty as I havn't had to use 6.5 in years (thank god!).

You may also want to check the network library being used. If your client is trying to use TCP/IP, but the server is only listening on Named Pipes (or something similar) , that could be the problem as well.

OK. I have figured out that the server is using named pipes and NOT TCP/IP. Is a remote connection possible?

Thanks...

Yes - use the client network utility. It might be client configuration utility for 6.5.

Please forgive my ignorance, what do I need to do in the Client Configuration Utility on the server to allow my remote PC to connect?

On the server you use the server netowrk utility. Just make sure that TCP/IP is in the list of enabled protocols. The remote PC will need to use the client network utility or (if you're connecting through ODBC) the ODBC connection properties.

Thanks guys....
    I am finally able to connect, I had to go to "SQL Setup" and install the TCP/IP libraries then restart.

Worked great.

- Eric