Question Unanswered: SQL Server Registration without GUI

Hello all,

I'm using MSDE and need to register a new server. In SQL Server we had user instructions on how to use this with enterprise manager but using MSDE eliminates this as an option. I have been looking for a solution to to this. Is there a command line utility I can use or a stored procudure somewhere to register a new server?

Thanks

Victor

What about sp_addserver (isql or osql)?

Do you mean registering a remote server for use in distributed queries? If so, sp_addlinkedserver is your friend, look it up in the books online and you should be good to go. If you don't have the books online because you only have the MSDE, then go here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/sqlserver/

Originally posted by loach
    Do you mean registering a remote server for use in distributed queries? If so, sp_addlinkedserver is your friend, look it up in the books online and you should be good to go. If you don't have the books online because you only have the MSDE, then go here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/sqlserver/
    BOL:

sp_addserver [ @server = ] 'server'
    [ , [ @local = ] 'local' ]
    [ , [ @duplicate_ok = ] 'duplicate_OK' ]

Arguments
    [@server =] 'server'

Is the name of the server. Server names must be unique and follow the rules for Microsoft Windows NT® computer names, although spaces are not allowed. server is sysname, with no default.

With multiple instances of SQL Server, server may be servername\instancename.

[@local =] 'LOCAL' --!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Specifies whether the server that is being added is a local or remote server. @local is varchar(10), with a default of NULL. Specifying @local as LOCAL defines @server as the name of the local server and causes the @@SERVERNAME function to return server. (The Setup program sets this variable to the computer name during installation. It is recommended that the name not be changed. By default, the computer name is the way users connect to SQL Server without requiring additional configuration.) The local definition takes effect only after the server is shut down and restarted. Only one local server can be defined in each server.

Thanks for the replies...

I'm actually working with a redundancy system. When a failure occurs the secondary machine takes over. Its not a remote server, all operations take place on the local machine that now has the name and IP of the primary machine. Also, the ODBC datasource has been changed to the primary name.

The system is functional but will occassionaly hang when trying to start the SQL Server (MSDE only). Searching for the new server???

So, if I can register the server as I do when we use SQL Server it should take care of this.

Thanks

Victor

Snail

From BOL
    sp_addserver
    Defines a remote server or the name of the local Microsoft® SQL Server™. sp_addserver is provided for backward compatibility. Use sp_addlinkedserver.
    emphasis mine.

Microsoft is encouraging the use of sp_addlinkedserver and provides sp_addserver only for backward compatibility.