Thread: Dynamic SSI

Question Unanswered: Dynamic SSI

I think that I may know the answer to this, but maybe someone can give me some input. I am writing an application with ASP and what the user to select an item from a listbox. After submission, I would like the subsequent ASP target to dynamically include a file on the server side. So is there a workaround to:
    <!--#include file="<%=filename%>.inc" {I wish you could do this!}
    since includes are parsed before ASP code?

Thanks for the help!

McFrisch

I think the only way to get this to happen would be to do a response.redirect to the different pages. there is no workaround to get a dynamic include, but you could redirect to a set of different pages that have the different includes.

just a thought, hope it helps.

What is the include file going to have in it??

You can't do exactly what you want but perhaps you could do it slightly differently depending on exactly what you are trying to achieve....

Question include content

Well I am going to try the redirects... but to further describe the application, I am writing some pages that will calculate concentrations of various chemicals to make a particular electrolyte that the user inputs. So the calculations for Electrolyte A are different than that for Electrolyte B. I was going to have a common parameter page, and use different includes that do the specific calculations. The includes contain vbscript, although I could use Jscript instead, as well as ASP. How does the content make a difference, however, if the includes are processed before the ASP code?

Can the calculations be done in Javascript?? If so why not make them client side??

I agree with rokslide - based on your description javascript would solve your problem.