Arrow Unanswered: Filter form based on column in query results

Good afternoon everybody, I have been building a rather large computer assets inventory database for a week or so now and have run into a snag.

Heres a basic rundown of the part of the database I'm having trouble with. I have a table [Assets] which contains various information regarding IT hardware, I also have a table [SoftwareList] which contains information about the various software we own licenses for. In the middle of this I have a table [AssetsSoftware] which links [Assets] to [SoftwareList] to fix the many <-> many relationship.

Now I have a query that returns all the Asset#'s that don't have a certain Software# installed which works OK. But I would like to use the Asset#'s returned by this query as a filter for another form. I tried something along the lines of:

AssetNum IN(queryname!columnname)

as the filter for the form but this doesn't seem to do it.

If anybody knows a way for me to get this working, all help is greatly appreciated, I'd be happy to give more information about the database in general if it would help straighten things out. Thanks for the help.

Smile Re: Filter form based on column in query results

Originally posted by Wally_Lawless
    Good afternoon everybody, I have been building a rather large computer assets inventory database for a week or so now and have run into a snag.

Heres a basic rundown of the part of the database I'm having trouble with. I have a table [Assets] which contains various information regarding IT hardware, I also have a table [SoftwareList] which contains information about the various software we own licenses for. In the middle of this I have a table [AssetsSoftware] which links [Assets] to [SoftwareList] to fix the many <-> many relationship.

Now I have a query that returns all the Asset#'s that don't have a certain Software# installed which works OK. But I would like to use the Asset#'s returned by this query as a filter for another form. I tried something along the lines of:

AssetNum IN(queryname!columnname)

as the filter for the form but this doesn't seem to do it.

If anybody knows a way for me to get this working, all help is greatly appreciated, I'd be happy to give more information about the database in general if it would help straighten things out. Thanks for the help.
    The following code worked for me using some of my data. I just used a command button to test it and monitored the record results.

My form was based on the table tblAircraft. The table tblWO contained some of the records from tblAircraft so as an experiment:

Dim strSQL as string
    strSQL = " (((tblAircraft.RegID) In (Select Distinct RegID from tblWO)))"
    Me.FilterOn = True
    Me.Filter = strSQL

Seems like you could set up something similar for your data.

Hope it helps.

Gregg

Thanks basicmek, your code worked perfectly. For those that may be reading this later, here's what I did to make it work with a query.

1. Changed query type to 'action query' which posted results to a temporary table.
    2. Executed query from VBA after user enters information and hits OK button.
    3. Ran code suggested by basicmek after the query has completed, performing the search on the temporary table that the modified query creates.
    4. Applied filter to form.

Here is the actual code I used:
    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim SearchString As String

stDocName = "Software Exclusion Query"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit

SearchString = "AssetNum In (Select AssetNum from softexcludetemp)"
    DoCmd.OpenForm "Assets2", , , SearchString

That did it. Thanks again for the help.