Unanswered: Excell currency round-off

I see that there is a function for round off in excell, but I was wondering why Excell does not always round off to the higher number when there are no decimals entered into the currecny format. This can be frustrating when I'm working with complex spreadsheets with information displayed in different ways. The different sheets have the same numbers, but the data is displayed or shown differently. What happens is that I end up a dollar off, and when I change the currency format to show the 2 decimals I see why. One of the numbers did not round off to the higher ( after.5) number.
    Why is thsi?
    Ed

Excel goes by what is stored in the cell, not how it is displayed.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Excell round-off

I think I understand your response, but I don't think you fully understood my issue.
    A series of (stored) cells total $8999.54
    When I take the two decimals off the currency formating, I get (sometimes) $8999, but I should get $9000. Sometimes it does properly round off to the higher number like it should but sometimes it does not.
    Why?
    Ed

Okay, sorry, I didn't fully understand your issue, and still not sure if this will help.

There might be four issues:

1. The distinction between display "rounding" (a formatting problem) and actual round function. Try = Round($8999.54,0) to see what you get.

2. Excel does not round numbers like mathematicians do (After all those many years-ago lessons on the proper way to do it in my head!), which had been confusing for me until I realized the difference.

3. Sometimes when you have two stored values, say $220.45 and $300.48 which would round to $220 and $300 respectively. If you were to add them, you would get $520.83 rounded to $521, but adding the two rounded numbers would give $520.

4. How do you have the cell formatted? General, Number, Text, Custom?

Still not sure if this helps.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums