Unanswered: Raiding an Oracle 9i database

Hello all

A general question for you:-

We have a sever that i want to install with oracle 9i in order to put a payroll / hr database (including recruitment and training course management) on.

The server has 5x73gb disks, and we are about to install it with windows 2k - what do people here think is the best way to raid these disks.

I'm leaning towards putting raid 0+1 (using four of the disks) and an unraided disk.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards

Keith

Hi,

Raid 0+1 is recommended for database use. Databases typically perform lots of small reads and writes, scattered around the drive. This is too much overhead for raid 5, even hardware raid 5.

Hth
    Bill

I don't think you have enough disks! Raid 0+1 is the way to go, but what do you plan to use the unraided disk for?
    Regards
    Dbabren

Hi,

4 disks is the minimum for Raid 0+1, hence why many smaller sites use Raid 1 with only two disks.

Either way he's going to end up with a single 'un-raided' disk. I think the only way he can use all five disks on raid, is to have 3 on raid 5 and 2 on raid 1, or all on raid 5. Not optimal for a database.

My inclination would be to use 4 disks on 0+1, and leave the other as an on-line spare (or in the draw as an off-line spare).

Cheers
    Bill

Have to agree with you Bill. Best of a bad deal - wouldn't like to comment on performance of such a system design - although if a small system, may not be a significant consideration.
    Regards
    Dbabren

? Where r the disks ?

Hi all

Thanks for your input

With regards to not having enough disks, I agree.

In my original plan I wanted two smaller servers and I wanted to replicate everything across both.

This got lost in the planning (whilst I was away for a few weeks), but this was kind of okay because we were supposed to have a nas up and running by now, and I was intending to use the nas for the data areas - leaving all five disks for the db etc.

However, the nas is now behind schedule (due to internal wrangling) and my boss has committed us to getting this server up and running before christmas - along with a webserver that is going to connect to it

So i'm kind of left with the server that I didn't really want and not enough disks for comfort.

With regards to the unraided disk, I was thinking we could use it for the offline redo logs - but we may well be better having it as a hot spare.

Kind regards

Keith