Question Unanswered: Switchboard - can't add to it

I'm developing an application using Access 97 (normal, not developer's edition). Up until now I have had no problems with the switchboard. Today, in the middle of work when nothing remotely related to the switchboard, forms, security etc was being done, I stopped being able to add to the Switchboard. When I try (using the Switchboard Manager) to add a new page using the "New" button, then change the command from "Go to Switchboard" to "Open Report" (or indeed anything else), I get a dialog saying "Field 'Switchboard Items.Argument' can't be a zero-length string." It then leaves the command line on Open Report, but underneath it still gives "Switchboard" with my Switchboard drop-downs, rather than "Report". I attempted to enter a report name anyway - this was futile, as it pointed out correctly that the report name I entered was not on the list (of switchboards).

Can anyone suggest why this has happened, and/or what solution I might try? Incidentally, I am using Windows XP.

Re: Switchboard - can't add to it

I get a dialog saying "Field 'Switchboard Items.Argument' can't be a zero-length string." It then leaves the command line on Open Report, but underneath it still gives "Switchboard" with my Switchboard drop-downs, rather than "Report". I attempted to enter a report name anyway - this was futile, as it pointed out correctly that the report name I entered was not on the list (of switchboards).

Can anyone suggest why this has happened, and/or what solution I might try? Incidentally, I am using Windows XP.

I suggest that you first go to http://support.microsoft.com and search the knowledge-base stored there to see if this message has already been reported. You should do this first, and follow any recommendations there in lieu of (or at least, prior to) anything else I might recommend here.

I also recommend that you examine the underlying tables that are populated by the Switchboard Manager and used in creating the switchboard. Once you determine the structure and relationship of these tables (note: they may be "hidden") you might be able to carefully, manually remove the troublesome entries. Copy-and-paste to create a duplicate copy of these tables before making any changes.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Thanks for the advice! I had forgotten that I could just open the table. I have done so - I cannot find the source of my problems, but I can add the entries I want successfully, so it doesn't matter. I'll just do that from now on rather than use the add-in manager.

Incidentally, my first move was to look on the microsoft site. No luck. I generally find that they are the last rather than the first to post a solution.

Thanks again - problem solved!