down on the cube farm, left then right then another left

Unanswered: OC4J startup issue

Hi,

Hope you all have/had a good Thanksgiving (if you support that tradition).

I am running 9i on a Windows 2000 Professional box and I am using the OC4J instance to enable forms development. My concern is that ever time OC4J starts it displays the following error:

Warning: Error reading transaction-log file (/D:/oracle/ora92DS/j2ee/Oracle9iDS/
    persistence/transaction.state) for recovery: premature end of file
    Forced or abrupt (crash etc) server shutdown detected, starting recovery process

I receive this error whether I submit the "Shutdown OC4J Instance" command or not.

One consideration is that I have installed both the DB and the development system on the same system.

Thanks.

Thumbs up

HI,

This warning is expected since you have a previous unsuccessful startup. The first time a terminate command is issued, it call a OC4J shutdown command, which will properly shutdown the server, which include removing the file transaction.state file. When the first terminate command doesn't work, then the second terminate command will just kill the OC4J server. This will leave the transaction.state file in the folder. When this happen, the next time an OC4J server is started up, it will provide the warning. Removing the file under persistence directory and restart again.
    SATHISH .

Satish,

What you said makes sense, but that does not appear to be true for my system. Except for removing the "persistence" file I can never get a clean start. The shutdown command appears to have no effect on the OC4J instance. That is to say that there is no additional output from the OC4J process.

I appreciate your help, but I am still looking for an answer.

Todd

Follow up:

quite unintentionally I ran the originst.bat script found in D:\oracle\ora92DS\j2ee\Oracle9iDS (same place as the "start OC4J" and the "stop OC4J"). The script requested an admin password verification but I just killed the script because I had not intended to run it. Every since then the "stop" process has been shutting down the OC4J instance. Any one know why that is? Did I miss a step in the set up that said I should have run that script?

Todd