Unanswered: FM Server 5.02 under XP?

Hello,
    i have 10 Clients and 1 FM 5.02 Server. In past the FM Server runs on a WIN NT 4.0 Server. Now, i want to upgrade the server to WIN XP PRO to safe money, because i think the performance of the new machine ist much more (Celeron 2000) as the old NT-Server (P2 400). But iam unsure about WIN XP acts as server for Filemaker. Has someone experience in running a configuration like this?
    Klaus

Re: FM Server 5.02 under XP?

FileMaker indicates that its server version runs under NT or Windows 2000 (I have it running under W2K). I'd keep it on NT, which is a very stable platform. FileMaker states: "FileMaker Server 5.5: Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition are not server platforms and as such will not be certified for FileMaker Server. FileMaker Server 5.5 is logo certified for Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft’s most current server platform, and will not be supported under Windows XP."
    Stay with NT

Originally posted by Klausi
    Hello,
    i have 10 Clients and 1 FM 5.02 Server. In past the FM Server runs on a WIN NT 4.0 Server. Now, i want to upgrade the server to WIN XP PRO to safe money, because i think the performance of the new machine ist much more (Celeron 2000) as the old NT-Server (P2 400). But iam unsure about WIN XP acts as server for Filemaker. Has someone experience in running a configuration like this?
    Klaus
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

FM and Win XP

Thanks for the answer. I have read the FAQ from filemaker.com, too. But what can be happen if i run FM Server 5.02 under WIN XP. Why do i need a Server Platform for 10 clients. What is the advantage of MS-Server? I asked some people and every explains me, never run FM-Server on a MS-Client. But no one could explain me what can be happen if i use FM-Server on XP or Win2K Pro. Whats the problem? Are the MS-Clients unstable?
    Klaus

Re: FM and Win XP

Of course you could host all db files as multi-user on one machine without being a server, but that ties up that machine. By using the FM server you dedicate one server (NT) machine to host the files, you can run back-ups and do alot of other things you can't do in the non-server enviroment.
    Running on XP is questionable. As you may know, there are some compatibility issues with XP and certain app's and drivers. FM server could be one of them. I suspect that XP will be included as an OK platform in FM server's next release or patch. You CAN run FM server on W2K pro (does not have to be W2K server). MS server's are VERY stable if you know how to manage them.
    I run FM server on W2K, with 80 db files and service about 50 users via TCP/IP (generally 30+ connected at a time). This system has been running for 5 years (24/7) and except for my occasional system checks, maintenance and service pack upgrades we've experienced no problems.
    Ask yourself about the future of your databases and their growth in Db's and user's. Then deceided to go server or not. ME, I wouldn't host multi-user db's on my machine.
    Good Luck

Originally posted by Klausi
    Thanks for the answer. I have read the FAQ from filemaker.com, too. But what can be happen if i run FM Server 5.02 under WIN XP. Why do i need a Server Platform for 10 clients. What is the advantage of MS-Server? I asked some people and every explains me, never run FM-Server on a MS-Client. But no one could explain me what can be happen if i use FM-Server on XP or Win2K Pro. Whats the problem? Are the MS-Clients unstable?
    Klaus
    Last edited by RickKnight; 11-29-03 at 09:31.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions