Unanswered: mysql 4.0.16 on win98

Hi,

I installed mysql 4.0.16 (22.7M) for Windows but had problems starting msyql. When I double-clicked on winmysqladmin.exe, the program started but then hanged (Not responding).

I have been able to run myslq 3.23.58 on the same machine.

Before installing 4.0.16, I removed 3.23.58 using Window's Add and Remove Programs.

Am I missing something? I've the MySQL ODBC driver 3.51 installed and that works with MySQL 3.23.58. Should I be gettig the 3.52 ODBC driver (but it doesn't seem to be available yet)?

Please help

Wink

You're going to need to try to identify what it's hanging on. You can "guess" all day but that just won't help. If there's any sort of log-file produced then that would be the place to start.

Also check the mysql web-site to see if there are any reported problems. Win98 implements the 32-bit Windows architecture only to a certain extent, and it's possible that the most recent MySQL version has an incompatibility. If it does, it's probably been reported already...
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Re: mysql 4.0.16 on win98

there should be an error log at (default location):
    c:\mysql\data\<machine_name>.err

Thanks, sundialsvcs and vanekl

I finally solved the problem. What I did was I removed the entire directory c:/mysql manually, then installed 4.0.16. Now I'm able to start winmysqladmin.exe.

Previously, I removed the older MySQL versions using Window's Add and Remove. That had the advantage of keeping the existing databases but I wasn't able to get 4.0.16 up and running.

As most of the databases were for learning purposes, I decided to try my luck by manually deleting the entire mysql directory. That worked!

I was trying to implement Foreign keys and Referential Integrity as well as Fulltext searches using examples from Mysql by Pual DuBois, Second Ed, to aid my understanding. I was disappointed when I couldn't get them to work because my previous MySQL version didn't allow INNODB.

I have just experimented with Foreign keys with the new install 4.0.16 and it works as expected