Thread: Dual Xeon Cpu

Unhappy Unanswered: Dual Xeon Cpu

Hi there,

Recently I've installed a new Compaq Proliant server with 2 XEON hyperthread Processor and installed Linux 7.3, Sybase 11.0.3.3

TOP command show 4 CPU but when I tried to print Year End report and it only use the 1st processor 100% the rest just take about 5~10% occasionally

The Sybase configuration file I've changed the "Max online engines = 4"

So is there anyway to contribute all the CPU processing power to the Sybase??

Thanks!!

You have to configure your server to work in parallel.

There are several config options to consider:

max parallel degree
    max scan parallel degree
    number of worker processes

The all work together and must be set correct.
    Read about them in the Performance and Tuning Guide in the chapters 24 and 25.
    http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebook...g1250e/ptallbk

And even if they are set correct, the optimizer might decide not to use parallel queries depending on your tables, indizes and queries.

Re: Dual Xeon Cpu

Originally posted by ultraman76
    Hi there,

Recently I've installed a new Compaq Proliant server with 2 XEON hyperthread Processor and installed Linux 7.3, Sybase 11.0.3.3

TOP command show 4 CPU but when I tried to print Year End report and it only use the 1st processor 100% the rest just take about 5~10% occasionally

The Sybase configuration file I've changed the "Max online engines = 4"

So is there anyway to contribute all the CPU processing power to the Sybase??

Thanks!!
    In 11.0.3.3 a single command will only run on a single thread (i.e. a single engine). In later versions (12.x in particular) you can enable parallel queries which can improve the performance significantly.

Michael

Smile

Thanks guys... will try it out. Btw, after I disable the hyperthread on the processors it seems like faster than last time.

Wink

Everything really depends on the workload, from moment to moment. Unless the workload is truly "CPU bound," as database workload rarely is, you just won't see "100% pegging-the-meter" CPU utilization very often. Not with a database.

What you will see is an "I/O bound" workload, where the ruling constraint is how fast an I/O operation can be serviced.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com