Unhappy Unanswered: ORA-12541 TNS:no listener

Hi,

im new to Oracle. I have just installed Oracle 9 enterprise edition (never had oracle installed before). I cant seem to connect to anything. i created a service name called ASERVER, and my hostname is: LEFKOS (name of comp). I also created a listener called: LISTENER

Anytime i try login on to anything such as SQL PLUS or Enterprise Manager console i keep getting the following error message: ORA-12541 TNS:no listener. I don know whats wrong...do i have to install a separate program for the listener?. I have found forum threads about editing the registry to make the listener work. However all i can find is: OracleMTSRecoveryService and OracleOracleDBClientCache in the registry. In addition i cant seem to use the command "lsnrctl status" the command prompt doesn't recognise it.

Please Help

Lefty In distress!!

Hi Lefty,

You should have a service listed as Oracle<homespec>Listener. (I'm guessing you are on a Win32 box by your use of the term "Service").

It should be started. If it isn't try starting it, or if you don't have one then I would suggest a new install with everything at default.

*I'm not going to get into tnsnames.ora in this thread, everyone, listen, I promise. I have it written in blood that I will never again discuss tnsnames.ora*

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Red face ORA-12541 TNS:no listener

Hi Bill,

yeah im on windows xp professional. When I installed oracle 9 enterprise edition, i chose to install the administrator option rather then the standard option since it had everything. However im not sure the listener comes with the oracle 9 package. The tnsnames.ora file as far as i can tell is fine..im just not sure if the listener is actually installed on the comp, since the cmd prompt cant seem to recognise the command "lsnrctl status"....PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP...IF I KEEP GETTING THIS DAMN ERROR IM GONNA GO NUTS!

Lefty

Hi Lefty,

Some of us are already nuts, try a standard install. Admins are there to get paid more, so of course the Admin option won't work straight out

(so says Bill who has a 9ir2 install set waiting to go, but hasn't got the balls to see what it will do to his 8i working set!)

Hth
    Bill.
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Thumbs up

Hi,

The connection request could not be completed because the listener is not running. Ensure that the supplied destination address matches one of the addresses used by the listener - compare the TNSNAMES.ORA entry with the appropriate LISTENER.ORA file (or TNSNAV.ORA if the connection is to go by way of an Interchange). Start the listener on the remote machine.
    SATHISH .

Hi,

What I would like to suggest you is, go to Configuration & Migration Tools --> Oracle Net Manager. where you can create service name as well as listeners...
    Once you create a service name, then this entry is automatically entered in your TNSNAMES.ORA file...
    Then your problem should be solved...
    If still problem persists, then check following in your case:
    Net Service name: ASERVER
    Service name (for example in my case service name is orcl.world), in
    your case it should be something similar when you have
    installed Oracle database on your computer.
    Protocol TCP/IP
    Host name LEFKOS
    Port number 1521

Hope this helps you...

Regards,

sk

Thumbs down ORA-12541 TNS:no listener

Hi Guys,

Sathith i know that the listener isn't working..thats my problem..i dont know how to start it since i cant find it in the registry, and the command "lsnrctl status" doesn't seem to work. Oh, and im running oracle locally not remotely

Skavi, thanks for the intel...I did what you told me to do..just want to know if what i have done is ok...i made a Name Server called NameServer.ASERVER (ASERVER is the Net Service Name) on port 1521. Is this right? However i still get the same error connection. Cant seem to login to anything since the listener isn't running.

Lefty still in distress

Hi

That's right.......

But did u try Testing the ASERVER Net Service name by specifying username and password....

What error does it give??

Bye

SK

Unhappy

Hi Skavi...

Where would i logging using the NameServer account:
    Name: NameServer.ASERVER
    Password: oracle

Oh..and how would that solve the listener problem?

Lefty
    (btw..sorry for the long delay before replying, i was building 3 computers)