Unanswered: Please help. Open Access97 mde file in Access 2002 error.
I am newbie in M$ access, could you please teach me how to solve the problem? I have a access97 mde and use it 2 years already, but when I upgrade my M$ office to XP. There have a message asked me to convert or leave the version to open. I have try both method but they keep pop-up the same error message "You can't convert or enable an MDE file.". This file is work normal in office 97 even now, but don't know why the access 2002 can't convert or open it. All the records is store on MDE file, I have the original MDF file. When I open the MDF file, there only have few tables in the table tab. The main "Customer", "Product" and "Employee" tables are all gone, but one thing is I can see those tables in the relationship view. That is the thing I don't understand, is there have method unhide them?
So there have a few problem I would like to get help: (^O^)
1. I have update the MDAC 2.8 on access 2002 but the error still exist, is there have any method to let me work this database like access97?
2. I haven't need or want to convert the MDE file, just the access2002 ask me to convert. The way I want to do is open and work on the database like access97.
3. I have search many past post in this forums, many of them tell us need to work on the MDF file for convertion or modify forms. But I just want to open it in access2002, the form or query design are very good for me to use and no need to make any changes. Is there has method could make the file work?
4. I have the MDF and MDE files, MDF file is a original file without any data. MDE file is using 2 years and store many data already, just not work in access2000 or higher version but work good in access97. The database have a logon dialogue box need to enter first. How can I export the records from MDE file? Because there have 3 tables are hidden in the table tab, I just can see the hidden table in the "relationship" view.
5. I have downloaded and tried the mde2mdf97, mde2mdf2k and mde extractor 1.1 and 2.2. But all of them can't extract the data out, because I don't need to make any changes for the form or table, just need to get the the records back.
get yourself a PC with Access97 on it and copy your mde to it.
Open the mde file with Access97 (keep the shift down!) and you will be able to access the tables. You can export them to another application so you still have your data.
Concerning the mde itself : forget about converting it! You need the original mdb file to be able to convert to a higher version.
If you do not have the mdb, you're in trouble....
I have used the access97 to open the mde with hold-down shift key, and I go to tools --> security to enable back all function.
But there is missing some tables in the table tab. I can see there have "Employee", "Customer" and "Product" tables in the 'Relationship' view but they all not link to each other and I can't right-click to view the properties. There has not this option to select, and is there can hidden some table in the table tab but can see in the relationship view?
This is first time I met this problem, because I just can see some tables without data in the mde file. All the records in the table view can't see.