Unanswered: MySQL Account Creation/Remote access Q

Hey eveyone - kind of new to MySQL, so please excuse my ignorance.
    Alright, so I created a DB on a RH8 box. Works fine, the Web App is local to the machine and that works fine too.

The DB name is branches - right now it is just on a test box and I use the root user to access it (as does the CFM webapp). I need to create a user account that will have basically full permissions (insert/update/etc) to the branches DB. Lets just call this accout webuser for now - FYI im gonna use this account to connect to the *nix mysql DB from my Win machine. I've tried creating an account numerous times on the *nix mysql DB...the actual account creation seems to work fine, but in MySQLyog I just get "Lost connetion to MySQL server during query" BTW, this happens even if I try to connect using the root MySQL account...same exact error.

Furthermore, something is fundamentally wrong with the way I'm creating accounts because if I make the webapp access the MySQL Branches db using the 'webuser' account, it does not work.

The syntax I am using to create the user under MySQL is:

mysql> set password for 'webuser'@'localhost' = password('mypassword');
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> set password for 'webuser'@'%' = password('mypassword');

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

do this on mysql prompt
    replace % if u think u need to restrict access from particular IPs only

For MySQL gone away, change the timeout values (interactive timeout shld do it) which you have in the MySQL settings

(do SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%timeout%' to get an idea)

change settings in my.cnf to make changes permanent